Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Which one is better and why?

Need to decide soon and need to know the pros and cons of both from people that know.

I hope the answer is salt water. Guy supposed to be starting on ours anytime now. Looking like he’s gonna use one week of bad weather for a months worth of delays.

Comment

I have 2 above ground salt pools. In in San antonio with hard water. Only have to add salt from loss of water from back flushing the filter. I add Muratic acid about every 2 months and have to clean my generator 3 to 4 times a year. Nothing else. My other pool is in corpus and corpus uses surface water. Othe than salt I add nothing to that pool and the generator doesn't build up calcium.

Comment

Fresh water ! The salt destroys everything. If you are going to have any type of water feature don’t and the equipment won’t last .

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
          Which one is better and why?

Need to decide soon and need to know the pros and cons of both from people that know.
          I have had both and prefer chlorine vs salt. Chlorine just seems to stay cleaner to me. If you do salt dont do natural stone around the pool. Also if you do salt make sure to keep the no spray end on your polaris. Anything the salt water hits is going to rust. Just my 2 cents and I bet you will get the exact opposite of my opinion.
          It's easy to switch from salt to chlorine if you dont like it just have to eat the cost of the salt cell.

Comment

This is 100% false! I have a salt pool, it’s great and only runs 3500 ppm salt (which is less than a eye tear drop). Add salt every so often and muriatic acid to clear pool after rains and heavy pool usage. Clean the salt cell as recommended. Water is so much softer.

Originally posted by Wfalls View Post
            Fresh water ! The salt destroys everything. If you are going to have any type of water feature don’t and the equipment won’t last .

Comment

I can't compare with chlorine pools but my salt pool is very low maintenance.

Comment

What is a fresh water pool? Never heard of a fresh. Only salt or chlorine

Comment

Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  This is 100% false! I have a salt pool, it’s great and only runs 3500 ppm salt (which is less than a eye tear drop). Add salt every so often and muriatic acid to clear pool after rains and heavy pool usage. Clean the salt cell as recommended. Water is so much softer.

I had a salt pool previously and went through 2 chlorine generators in 8 years. It also ate up the ladder (not aluminum) in 3-4 years.

My brother and sister in law have a salt water pool and they are constantly having their natural stone flake and sand off in the pool, they end up chipping off calcium from around their coping about every other year. They have been through 2 chlorine generators and he’s repaired the one he has now a couple of times. This is in a span of 15 years.

To say it’s not corrosive is not factual either.

Based on these past experiences we went with chlorine on our current pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Mike D; 03-05-2021, 09:12 PM.

Comment

We have natural stone and pool is 10 years old. All original equipment, works great. I also do my own pool cleaning, water testing, etc and Care for it weekly. I had a standard pool on last home, this salt system is far superior.

Comment

I’m going fresh and hopefully it starts next week. he’s had my 10% deposit for a couple months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No overall difference in salt vs nonsalt as far as maintenance. Each have their own issues and pluses. They both use chlorine to kill bacteria so absolutely no difference in chlorine content. Salt water pools use salt water generators to change salt to chlorine. Chlorine pools simply inject chlorine.

The only benefit salt gives is softer water, which i am a fan of. Hardly can tell it is salt as far as taste.

Comment

Salt all the way. Maintenance is minimal- 1/4 gal muriatic acid every week. Trip to leslies every other month to confirm all is good. Eats about 3 sacks of salt each spring which is nothing compared to my neighbor who buys chlorine buy the bucket.

Comment

I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and haven’t looked back. I’m happier with the chlorine

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and haven’t looked back. I’m happier with the chlorine

This has been my experience as well...I went through 2 cells the last 5 years so switched to chlorine and to me it’s easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X