Citrus Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citrus Trees

Have three very mature citrus trees at our house on the coast that look really bad today. Any chance they make it or anything I can do to help better the odds now?

My mature meyer lemon tree is hurting for certain. Had it covered with a tarp but it may not make it. In for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      My mature meyer lemon tree is hurting for certain. Had it covered with a tarp but it may not make it. In for answers.
      I have one Meyer tree and two orange (not sure what variety but I like em) that look real bad.

Comment

I know nothing about citrus trees, because I am in North Texas.

Today, I listened to a local, well respected, horticulturist on the radio. I have been listening to him for nearly 30 years.

With respect to our local potential damage, he warned that we do not know how damaged things are, right now. So don't go cutting things down, right now.

Give it a few weeks, so you can better determine what the damage was.

Comment

I heard a deal on the radio today from a arborist that was saying give your citrus trees a few weeks to see what they look like. That will tell you more than what we know now.

Comment

I had an avocado tree that I’m sure I lost after all these years and last year was the first year it had fruit.

Comment

the first night it started to freeze I ran out and dug up our Meyer lemon tree. It's still inside lol! It's small enough I was lucky I could. I do t see how many citrus or palm trees are gonna make it.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                the first night it started to freeze I ran out and dug up our Meyer lemon tree. It's still inside lol! It's small enough I was lucky I could. I do t see how many citrus or palm trees are gonna make it.
                The palm trees I’ll kinda miss but I’m gonna be bummed if I lose all the citrus.

Comment

It will be a few weeks/months before you know. Usually when they are stressed they will drop their leaves quickly and go into survival mode. Will have to see if new growth emerges in the spring, also can scratch bark with fingernail and check if still green.
                  I’m in DFW and grow all my citrus in 30gal Pots and bring them inside heated storage area with grow lights in the winter time. They seem happy thru the cold we just went thru

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                    I planted two avocados last year and dug them up too. They clearly didn’t like it but they are alive!

I’d say cut out obviously dead stuff. Then wait a couple weeks to see what makes a comeback. When cutting, stop when you see green wood.

Comment

Same here. My orange trees look bad.
                      One has the bark split on the trunk.
                      I hope they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8th1 View Post
                        Same here. My orange trees look bad.
                        One has the bark split on the trunk.
                        I hope they make it.

Bark split usually means a loss but I would wait and see. Hit them all with an organic liquid fertilizer in the next few days to help them recover

Comment

A lot will die some will make it those that do make it will probably have tops die off and regrow from heavier branches or trunk.But as was said just won’t know for a while just let em do their thing

Comment

Many citrus are grafted. If the scion died you are out of luck. In the case that the root stock survived. Best course of action would be to find a fruit bearing tree and graft on a new scion.
                            I had an orange tree scion die years ago, what grew back was a thorny root stock.
                            Plenty of text and videos on grafting. Clean sharp blade is ideal. Parafilm is handy to mate the graft together

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                              I planted two avocados last year and dug them up too. They clearly didn’t like it but they are alive!

I’d say cut out obviously dead stuff. Then wait a couple weeks to see what makes a comeback. When cutting, stop when you see green wood.

Where can i buy avocado trees? I want to plant some

Comment

Working...
                              X