? for guy with gals that bow hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
    Lessons with someone other than yourself (the parent) will pay off in the long run. My husband and I both work with beginner kids in archery, but we DO NOT coach or work with our own unless they ask for help, lol. I’m laughing at the memories of me trying to work with my son, and Daniel working with our daughter. It was a case of doing the exact opposite of what we showed them, just to push our buttons. After the first lesson my son took with Toby Ragsdale, I wanted to buy him dinner, lol.

In all seriousness, lessons will allow her to become more confident in the mechanics of shooting, and will give her a better foundation to base her likes and dislikes on. Once she has the feel for it, let her try some different bows, if possible. There are plenty of good bow makers out there, and each bow has a different feel. She’ll stick with it longer if she has something she really feels good shooting. I’m the same height as she is, but what I like and look for in a bow could be much different from what she might like and be comfortable with. Good luck with your soon to be new shooting buddy! Keep it fun, let her be involved in some of the set-up decisions, and she’ll be hooked.
    Thanx for the info young lady. Having had 3 boys preceeding my daughter, I understand totally what you are saying. Im pretty close to Precision Archery, so archery lessons are in the plans.
    I agree, it will have to be something she wants to do, which she does. She has sat in a tree stand with me before, she loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
      I have a good starter set-up for sale. I'd be more than happy to let her try it out for a bit and see if she likes it. I'm not far from you either.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=791630
      Thanx b, I appreciate it. Im probably gonna go to Precision and get her fitted, test the waters, let her shoot a few models, get the one she wants. Heck, she may change her mind, who knows. She really wants to gun hunt, so I recommended bowhunting, since Im a bowhunter and hunt on a bow lease.....We will see.

Comment

Thanx for the input. Yall are awesome! Wasn't expecting this much response. Lot of good advice, keep it coming.

Comment

I started on a Dan Quillian longbow and now shoot a Predator longbow made in Texas.
          Give trad a chance too.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            I started on a Dan Quillian longbow and now shoot a Predator longbow made in Texas.
            Give trad a chance too.
            We will see. Im not opposed

Comment

My wife started with an infinite edge pro. The back wall was really squishy so she couldn’t shoot it real well. We moved to a single cam bear prowess and the shooting improved. I hate to see someone get discouraged when it’s the equipment that’s holding them back.

Comment

30# Bear Kodiak Magnum and she killed a deer with a Bear Cub at 32#'s

Comment

When my Daughter just wanted to start shooting, possibly for school, we went to Scheels and they were great! Gave us info and let her feel around for what She thought felt like a good fit. Techs there told her what She should be feeling for, and it was an awesome experience.

Heavily recommend going to a good place and having some fun. It’ll fall into place.

Comment

Thanx

Comment

My daughter shot the DIAMOND bow. Not sure what model. Perfect size and deadly! Waaaaaaay more choices now and I would have her fitted and let her sling some arrows at a pro shop. If she starts off right she will never leave the sport!

Comment

My wife is same size as your daughter. She has been shooting a bowtech heartbreaker that she still enjoys.
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Thank yall so much, that's what I want to do Landrover is start her off right. It would be an awfull good priviledge to be with her when she gets her first deer! Man I would love that.

Comment

One more time around the horn

Comment

What did you decide to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife shoots a Diamond edge, but that's her. It is funny reading the post about don't try to teach your own family. Took my wife to Huffy's In Lampasas and they work with her and she listened.

Comment

Working...
                                X