Turkey bowhunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey bowhunt

I have an opportunity to bowhunt for turkey this spring. Never bowhunted turkey. I could stick to my ramcats but am looking into something for a headshot. What broadheads do you guys use?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I've killed a bunch of turkey with a bow, have never tried the guillotine style broadhead. For what it is worth, I shoot a mechanical broadhead, and try to wait until bird is facing away, shoot dead center of back. I also set up decoys for shots at 8-12 yards. Here is something that will help be successful, this only applies to a turkey, so please hear me out. The second you shoot, start your track. Follow the wounded bird and watch it. I have had to flip up my pop-up blind and physically run to do this a couple times. You will recover birds that you would never have been able to track and since I started doing it, I haven't lost one, knock on wood! Good luck this spring.

Comment

If I try a body shot, I may just stick with my ramcats. Thank for the advice.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Body is the way to go with mechanicals, or it’s tough to get through the first layer of feathers. Also what NDaWoods said is extremely accurate. If you get a solid hit on the bird, bail and go get him!

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
          I've killed a bunch of turkey with a bow, have never tried the guillotine style broadhead. For what it is worth, I shoot a mechanical broadhead, and try to wait until bird is facing away, shoot dead center of back. I also set up decoys for shots at 8-12 yards. Here is something that will help be successful, this only applies to a turkey, so please hear me out. The second you shoot, start your track. Follow the wounded bird and watch it. I have had to flip up my pop-up blind and physically run to do this a couple times. You will recover birds that you would never have been able to track and since I started doing it, I haven't lost one, knock on wood! Good luck this spring.
          This right here. Decoys close by, shoot as they turn away from you right in the back.

Comment

For body shots I've had great success with Grim Reaper 2" Whitetail Specials.

Comment

Working...
            X