Metal vs wood frame shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal vs wood frame shop

Having a shop built 30X75X12 with 30X50 enclosed and 25ft extended roof all concrete with two 10ft roll up doors. Metal frame is 15-20k more but also like having stud walls. I could foam it and pour a concrete driveway with extra 15k. Not going to be welding much just mostly for storage. Not sure how it might effect insurance rates. Anybody been through this lately?

Originally posted by neilmc70 View Post
    Having a shop built 30X75X12 with 30X50 enclosed and 25ft extended roof all concrete with two 10ft roll up doors. Metal frame is 15-20k more but also like having stud walls. I could foam it and pour a concrete driveway with extra 15k. Not going to be welding much just mostly for storage. Not sure how it might effect insurance rates. Anybody been through this lately?
    Hard to believe with lumber as high as it is there’s that much difference. I think My 70x30 was $21k ish with insulation from mueller in February or March. I went metal over wood because of way it was insulated behind and it seemed to be much sturdier. After having it built (I subbed the entire project myself) I would not even consider wood. But that’s my personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
      Hard to believe with lumber as high as it is there’s that much difference. I think My 70x30 was $21k ish with insulation from mueller in February or March. I went metal over wood because of way it was insulated behind and it seemed to be much sturdier. After having it built (I subbed the entire project myself) I would not even consider wood. But that’s my personal preference.
      21k for materials then concrete and labor to put it up?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        21k for materials then concrete and labor to put it up?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        Yes just that was just metal building materials cost.

All separate items, theses were separate costs and sub contractors;
        Dirt work
        Slab
        Building
        Assembly
        Trash haul off
        Plumbing
        Electrical
        Stone wainscoting on front two columns
        Stone wainscoting on front of building
        Driveway extension and tie in
        Grass and slight landscaping

It was more than I wanted to spend but it really turned out nice and glad I did it.

I don’t think I’d have too much trouble doing bardominiums. Just a little more finish work than my regular house remodels. But rest is the same.

Comment

Who you have building it?

Comment

My house is wood framed metal building, shop is steel framed. I would go wood framed.

Comment

I went thru this same scenario
              But bullet and spent up on metal bld
              So happy I did too

Comment

PM sent. Been exactly where you are brother. My shop is similar in size....30x70x12 with 30x50 enclosed. We decided to go with wood as well as we felt the extra money was better spent in other areas.

Post #139
                Last edited by RascalArms; 02-01-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Yes just that was just metal building materials cost.

All separate items, theses were separate costs and sub contractors;
                  Dirt work
                  Slab
                  Building
                  Assembly
                  Trash haul off
                  Plumbing
                  Electrical
                  Stone wainscoting on front two columns
                  Stone wainscoting on front of building
                  Driveway extension and tie in
                  Grass and slight landscaping

It was more than I wanted to spend but it really turned out nice and glad I did it.

I don’t think I’d have too much trouble doing bardominiums. Just a little more finish work than my regular house remodels. But rest is the same.

I see. I was gonna ask where this deal was!

thanks

Comment

Is that wood frame with metal sheeting? I would go with wood if it is that mush cheaper. Hard to believe with the price of lumber. its crazy right now.

Comment

I’m not close to being able to build my shop yet but from what I had seen, granted this was before the increase in lumber pricing, Metal was double the price of wood frame. That’s real hard to justify for a shop that is just for storage/man cave etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        PM sent. Been exactly where you are brother. My shop is similar in size....30x70x12 with 30x50 enclosed. We decided to go with wood as well as we felt the extra money was better spent in other areas.

Post #139
                        https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...=710503&page=3
                        Basically the same build thank you sir for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                          Is that wood frame with metal sheeting? I would go with wood if it is that mush cheaper. Hard to believe with the price of lumber. its crazy right now.
                          Yessir metal exterior

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
                            Who you have building it?
                            5 star builders in Weatherford

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X