Dog got into algecide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog got into algecide

Our 1 Yr old blue Heeler got into Algecide chemical for pool cleaning - was able to reach it on my shelf in barn.
    There was about 2 Oz’s missing, but also the bottle was laid over with teeth marks in the lid. Not sure how much he drank or if he just got in his mouth.
    Long story short, he threw up just about everything from 2am-3:30am Sunday morning - now he’s slobbering some at the mouth.
    No blood in stool, no blood ever appeared in throw up - wondering if he’s just got a chemical burned mouth and troat?
    Any advice is appreciated - we know the vet, but money is also tight.
    He’s not throwing up anymore, will drink and eat some. Thanks in advance

Honestly… if he is eating and drinking and holding it down. And your not seeing any of the signs you mentioned and no neuro signs then I would just keep him cool and get as much water in him as you can.

Slobbering is often a nausea sign so I’m sure he doesn’t feel good but honestly I’m not noticing signs of chem burns

Comment

He is eating and drinking some, he did this morning - He’s definitely hanging his head low, slow moving and slobbering is our biggest concern - but has a spurt of energy then kinda sluggish again. Wife took him on morning pasture/fence walk and he did fine. Came back in house and is laid up. Hard stool with no blood again about 45min ago.
      Thank you for response - I know Vet is an IV hook up and most likely a over night stay, or more including an arm in leg bill.

Comment

If something like that happens again- a shot or two of hydrogen peroxide squirted down the throat will make a dog puke pretty quickly (1-5 mins). I've successfully done it with my dog when she came around the corner chewing on rat poison.

Comment

My dog ate a whole tomcat rat poison stick. I called poison control and they advised she would need alot more to be adverse. I was thinking she was dead but... maybe give them a call to make sure. It's free

Comment

Ended up taking him in - found bad chemical burns in his throat and left side of mouth, he’s on pain meds and antibiotics for that. Got a nausea shot and it perked him up some, and hopefully makes a good recovery. He’s eating better and drinking a lot more water now.
            Kidney’s checked out fine from blood work, so no concern there.
            Appreciate yalls feed back - thank y’all!

Comment

Glad to hear the follow up. Sounds like the pup is doing better. 🙏🙏 For continued healing.

Comment

Glad he's gonna be alright. Proud owner of my 3rd heeler. Love those dogs.

BTW- If you or your wife are on facebook, there is a group page called- Pet Vet Corner. You can post a question and get response by only licensed vets that are approved by admin. Very resourceful for those times you are not sure if it's a pet emergency or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
                  Glad he's gonna be alright. Proud owner of my 3rd heeler. Love those dogs.

BTW- If you or your wife are on facebook, there is a group page called- Pet Vet Corner. You can post a question and get response by only licensed vets that are approved by admin. Very resourceful for those times you are not sure if it's a pet emergency or not.

Thanks for the heads’ up on the fb page. Just joined.

My brother had a heeler. Ol Shiner ate an entire coffee can of bacon grease. Them dogs will eat anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Algecide is mostly copper, but you can always call poison control to find out if it is particularly toxic to dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      If something like that happens again- a shot or two of hydrogen peroxide squirted down the throat will make a dog puke pretty quickly (1-5 mins). I've successfully done it with my dog when she came around the corner chewing on rat poison.
                      Ya I carry two bottles in my house just incase. Pour about half a cup to cup in the dogs mouth (make sure it goes down the hatch) and watch them start puking within 30 seconds. Saved me more then once.

Comment

Working...
                      X