Propane and portable generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane and portable generator

So back in April, I posted a thread asking about off-grid power options for an RV mostly asking about solar and batteries. I'm now changing up my plan. I have found a 150-gallon propane tank and plan to use it to run a portable inverter generator as well as the water heater, furnace, and stove in the RV. Has anyone done this? Got any pointers?

My first question is on regulators. Will the regulator that is on the camper and portable generator work with an inlet pressure of 10 psi? Those usually hook directly to the small portable tanks so I'm guessing they normally have an inlet pressure of 250psi. My plan is to have a 1st cut regulator at the tank to cut the pressure from 250 psi to 10 psi. Then run a line with the 10 psi to the RV and the Generator. At the end of each of those lines have a fitting that the coupler on the hose from the RV and generator can screw onto. That way if I was to run out on the big tank I can simply screw on a portable tank like its designed. I'm just not sure if those regulators need more than 10 psi inlet pressure.

Consult with the propane provider on the regulator. Where an RV is involved, I wouldn't be taking any advice on propane hookups from anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
      Consult with the propane provider on the regulator. Where an RV is involved, I wouldn't be taking any advice on propane hookups from anyone else.
      Well, I called my propane supplier and he wasn't sure. LOL

Comment

Most motors will have an ounce regulator at the motor. You should be able to send the #10 to it and it will regulate it to the motor.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by BRUTE 23; 06-10-2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Our travel trailer at the lease has two regulators on the propane supply. Not sure why but I have done this in my previous life in the oil patch. There it was done in case one regulator failed open the second would prevent gas at full pressure from getting through. As advised by others get professional advice.

Comment

Advise

I purchased a US carburetor kit that bolted on the frame of the generator. It had a gasket kit that replace the gasket between the air filter housing and the carburetor. It has a regulating screw adjustment that regulates the flow of gas. It was super easy to install. And it allows you to run gasoline if you ever need to, just open the gasoline tank valve and start. They also have hoses and quick attachment fittings.

Comment

I try to balance things, I live small so I use an Alps propane inverter generator. All I really care about is powering a 5k a/c, TV, and Dvd

ALP Generators is your home for premium propane generators that can help keep the lights on. Place an order today through our website or call us to learn more.

I only fire it up in the event my ecoflow or bluetti stuff ain’t first choice.

I like to keep my carbon footprint low, just because I vote Republican doesn’t mean I live like one. Heck, I might even recycle?

The only perfect solution is a Bluetti EP 500 and 600 watts of panels. Propane cost money.

Depending on any one solution sucks !

I even have a hell for stout full wave inverter with heavy gauge wire on my vehicle if all else fails and yes I have let it run all night to power a 5k a/c and my Joe Dirt Dvd because I’m crazy like that !

This stuff is limited by your imagination and budget.
              Last edited by Voodoo; 06-10-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Pressure is not a function of tank size. It is a function of volume in the tank and the temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X