RECAP - Idaho Archery Black Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECAP - Idaho Archery Black Bear

I spent last week in Riggins Idaho hunting black bear with Hells Canyon Outfitters. With newborn twins, and a crazy busy contracting business to run, getting away is tough these days.

I'll go day by day as best I can remember, adding pics as well...

DAY 1 – 4/30

To cut down on the number of checked bags, I removed the majority of the foam from my bow case and packed my hunting clothes around it. Then I put the rest of my clothes, hiking boots, whiskey, etc. in a duffel bag inside a 70qt cooler so I could use it to bring the hide/head home.

I had an uneventful flight from IAH to BOI. All my gear made it fine, and I arrived to pouring down rain. Got my rental car and was checked into the hotel by 830PM. Grabbed dinner and some drinks at the only logical place nearby...Applebee’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is not going well so far. Applebee's SUCKS.

Hope it gets better for you!

Comment

DAY 2 – 5/1

Brad, the outfitter, said that if I made it to Riggins by early afternoon, they would go ahead and put me in a stand and start the hunt early. I woke up early as usual, repacked my gear, and made the three hour drive north.

I was a couple hours early, so I did the only logical thing...hit the local watering hole. I had a few beers, watched some Nascar, and talked with a couple locals. In a town of only 400, it wasn't hard for them to figure out I wasn't from around there.

About 2 o’clock, I headed to the lodge; a nice house on the river where I would be staying. I met my guide, Brook, a 21 year old ******, and unpacked. I was surprised to find out that I was the only hunter in camp for the opening week. The house was great; on the Little Salmon River, deck complete with hottub. I also met Bobbi, the awesome cook for the week. She would make breakfast, pack to go lunches, and cook dinner when we got back each evening around 10-11PM.

Brook and I ran to town, grabbed my tag, changed into hunting gear, hopped in the ranger and headed UP the mountain. I would be sitting in a tree stand on Hailey Creek for the evening. After a quick lesson in bear identification, I got a radio and Brook said to holler if I shot something, got too cold, or it got too dark. She also mentioned that the bears will just appear, making no sound. She was right…

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                This is not going well so far. Applebee's SUCKS.

Hope it gets better for you!
                The Knob Creek was good, the food was sub par, and the bar conversation left a lot to be desired!

Comment

Looking forward to the rest. Beautiful country.

Comment

DAY 2 – 5/1 (continued)

The stand was a 12-15’ ladder on a hill below the bait (meaning you are only 6-7’ above the bait level), and about 15 yards away. I got settled in, started to freeze, put on the only extra layer I had (rain gear), and got settled back in still freezing but excited as I was in Idaho and I was bear hunting.

There wasn’t much of a view from the stand, you could really only see in front of you, so the time went by slowly. Nothing was moving and I was BORED.

All of a sudden, about 7:20, I looked up and, surprise, there was a freaking bear standing there! Brook was right, it just appeared out of nowhere. It looked big to me, and beautiful all black with a dark mask. But, I had only been hunting for two hours, so I grabbed my phone and started taking some pictures and videos. If anything, I wanted to show the others and get confirmation that it was or wasn’t big enough.

Eventually, I had plenty of pics, tried to put my phone in my pocket and scared it off with the lightest noise. Oh well, I was in Idaho, bear hunting, and I had see my first potential shooter.

Nothing else came in that evening, and a little after 9 as it was getting pretty dark, my underdressed *** was a little chilly, so I radioed Brook to come pick me up.

Back down the mountain 30 minutes freezing, to the house, enchiladas prepared by Bobbi. Couple whiskeys, and off to bed.

Comment

View from bait to tree stand

Comment

View behind down to Hailey Creek

Comment

Comment

In for this…great start!

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                              DAY 2 – 5/1

About 2 o’clock, I headed to the lodge; a nice house on the river where I would be staying. I met my guide, Brook, a 21 year old ******, and unpacked.
                              For the life of me, I can't understand why "female" is blocked.

Leonhogboy is from Orofino.

Comment

Working...
                              X