Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had your residential roof replaced lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had your residential roof replaced lately?

I am fixing to have my roof replaced due to hail damage. Insurance has approved it and has already paid me part of the money to start the job.

What should I look for when hiring a roofing company? It scares me a little to tear off a roof that doesn't leak and try to get it replaced in a day.

Anyone done this lately? Have any trouble with your roofing company? Anything special I need to watch for since it is an insurance job? Any questions or things I need to get written in to the contract up front to make sure the job is done right?

Yes, I am paranoid.

Thanks

Go metal and leave the old roof on.

Comment

Message sideways on here if he doesn't chime in. Great roofer and company, should be able to at least give some advice.

Comment

No. 1 Rule - Don’t go with the cheapest bid.

No. 2 Rule - Read number 1 rule numerous times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Like Drycreek3189 said, you can install a metal roof system over your shingles if you want (R panel or stone coated steel). Most residential reroofs can be completed by quality crews in a day so I wouldn’t worry about that Happy to answer any questions you might have if you want to PM me.

Comment

Re-roofing most residential projects in a day shouldn’t be difficult, unless you have a 70+ square roof. Even if there were issues a good contractor should have it in a “dried in” state with paper and vent caps.

Ask about their process and who will manage the project the day of.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger92 View Post
              Message sideways on here if he doesn't chime in. Great roofer and company, should be able to at least give some advice.

Thanks ruger92
              We work in Katy insured professional roofer. 42 yrs in business.
              Call or text just to chat
              713 851 4977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure they have WC insurance on the people doing the work on the roof. Most have insurance but it's for company employees and not the independent contractors that most companies have do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Go metal and leave the old roof on.
                  This. Most insurance companies give a break on premiums if you go with a metal roof.

Comment

Are you going with Ridge Vents? Are they still the way to go? Or is there a better way to vent these days?

Comment

We build a heck of a roof.

Build it like we do on the coast and it won't blow off.

6 hand nails per shingle- electro galvanized,or stainless, not hot dip they have slag that causes micro tears
                      Always use Ice and water shield in valleys.

If you need any help or want us to build it for you call me
                      Charles Dill @ Competitive Designs 832-654-8201

Comment

I did mine and super glad I did. Didn't pay a dime. Got money back from insurance and lowered my home insurance $1,000 a year

Comment

Haven't needed to replace. Going on 27 yrs. since we put the metal roof on and it still looks like new.

Comment

We actually just went through this having the roof installed this last Monday. We are selling our house in April and the roof has bothered me that it was in bad shape when the rest of our house has been updated. I had been denied by insurance twice before, but I figured I would give it one more try. This time, the adjuster approved the whole replacement no questions asked. I was shocked but extremely happy since it should really help with the sale. I obviously have not had a good rain on this roof yet, so time will tell how the job was done.

The way I picked the roofing company was based on our neighborhood. They had done 15 roofs in our neighborhood over the last year, and I kept seeing their signs in yards. I figured that if that many people have used them, that they must do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              Are you going with Ridge Vents? Are they still the way to go? Or is there a better way to vent these days?
                              Had my roof rebuilt about 5 years ago...we didn't do the ridge vents as it was what was original, went with standard vents placed about 3ft down from peak about 8 ft spaced between for the main peak, then one or two for lesser peaks...seems to work just fine...

Comment

Working...
                              X