• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man it's a nice one. Congrats to your son. It wasn't easy

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Big Bend Ranch State Park is great.

I took my son there for a youth hunt in 2017 and last December I took a buck.

Comment

Having a hard time uploading I guess the pictures are too large I’ll try resizing them later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Come on worse than low fence

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Wow, Amigo, you nailed it!!!!!! That is great stuff for sure. That is what life is all about those great moments

Comment

That is awesome. Congrats on a heck of a deer and what looks like a world class experience with your boy.

Comment

Really nice!

Comment

For starters Big Bend is an incredible place and made for a successful trip long before we pulled the trigger or even saw a deer! The time spent with my son camping and seeing the sights that this place has to offer was something I will never forget, after 2 days of hunting hard getting up before daylight and glassing and hiking we had only stumbled upon one young buck that gave us a very small opportunity but couldn’t get on him in time, if you have ever hunted with young kids you likely know there’s a process to getting them setup and comfortable and spooked deer rarely give you the time you need. The next morning we got setup on a glassing knob where we had last seen the deer and immediately found him on the move at 600 yards, we made a play on him trying to work the wind and terrain in our favor and never turned him up again, there’s no such thing as walking a straight line in this terrain with the rocks and 100 different types of pokey Thorney plants I also feel like it’s noteworthy that afternoon the highs were in the low 90s on the 3rd day of our hunt and I was expecting mid 70s, needless to say it zapped us! Last morning of the hunt we setup before sunrise on the same knob as the morning before just hoping we could turn him up again and after an hour of glassing I decided we would give it 15 more minutes much to my sons dismay but I knew we still had a big camp to pack up and a long drive ahead of us. We decided to move up to another high spot about 200 yards west and immediately glassed up a buck! We are shooting a sig cross in 6.5 creedmoor with hand loaded 143gr hornady eldx bullets and I have good data out to 500 yards, my son is lights out shooting 300 off our back porch so I was confident he could make the shot, we got him setup with the front of the rifle locked into a tripod and the rear of the rifle sitting on a Boulder with him laying somewhat prone, I may be leaving out a few unnecessary details but ultimately he dropped in his tracks what I consider to be a giant Muley especially considering I have never shot one! All I can say is Glory to God, we are just overwhelmed with thankfulness! Also when we started this journey I had many questions that I couldn’t find answers to so if anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future I would love to share more details about how all of this works I do believe that TPWD does a great job on these hunts but some things you just don’t know until you go, the Head park officer was very helpful and worked with us to make this a hunt of a lifetime!

Comment

That is awesome, great hunt for y’all. Congratulations.

Comment

Man that’s awesome congrats!

Comment

Wow congratulations

Comment

This is what it’s all about…congratulations to you and your Son…thank you for sharing!

Comment

Awesome job
                              My son was lucky to get drawn 2 years in a row about 5 years ago. He was never able to get a shot on one, had a short opportunity on a good one but wasn’t quick enough. We hiked a lot of miles on those 2 hunts and it’s worth every step. It’s one of those places that you just have to experience. My daughters 12 this year and it’s about time to start putting her name in drawing.

Comment

Congratulations to both of you!

Comment

Working...
                                X