cell tower on your land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cell tower on your land

I have been contacted about putting a cell tower on my land. At first I thought no way, but I have been thinking about it. It would be a 50 year lease. They said they need 75'x75' plus an access road. My place is only 22 acres.

So what are your thoughts? Pros and cons? How often do they need to work on the tower? How long does it take to construct? What about my Ag exemption? How would that affect any future sales of the land? My area is booming for development.

Likely biggest negative would be placement and how it obstructs or affects view, at least it would be for me whether it was my land or if I was looking at purchasing land. If it is located at a point where access would be short and easy like against the road, then the access issue would not really be a big deal as it would be fenced off. As for ag, 75'X75' is small, so even if you loose it on that much, not likely a big deal...

Comment

I would also ask about health concerns with being in close proximity to the tower.

Comment

They approached my cousin's a while back about one. They said no way they wanted that eyesore on their place. They were offering pretty good money. The tower ended up about 3/4 of a mile away. They can't see it & glad they passed. Only you can decide if you want it. On 22 ac, I wouldn't want to look at it every day.

Comment

100% up to you as to whether the money offsets the eyesore.

Comment

It all depends on the type of tower for construction time.

They will have unrestricted access to that tower. You won't be able to say "No you can't come today". So make sure wherever the road is, it won't be a burden to you as well as interrupt what you have going normally. If they use a road you already have in place make sure it's in the contract that they will help maintain it and outline specifically how.

Fencing is another question to make sure it's taken care of. You don't want your animals bothering any of that stuff.

I would try to create "a way out" if possible in the contract, should they do something to your property you're not happy with.

It will definitely affect resale and be a point of contention. I know I would be hesitant to buy a place with that on the property especially with it taking of so much space comparatively.

Also depending on the company they may all do things differently. Make sure electricity isn't coming off of your meter. I wouldn't allow that at all.

It would definitely affect the ag exemption if the area is fenced off, but whether or not it actually changes would be up to the CAD scoping it out.

IMHO I wouldn't do it on such a small property. Let them go to someone who has a bit more property to spare unless they are paying a rediculous amount.

Comment

We were contacted and we said no. Neighbors were contacted and they said yes. Now we are left with the eyesore no matter what and the neighbors have a fat check for the next 100yrs.

Comment

Either way there will be a cell tower within visibility of your place if you say no. Mine as well get paid to see it.

Comment

My in-laws have one. It has been a wind-fall for them. I would have someone who knows the ins and outs look closely at the contract. Lots of things to consider. They sold the contract for a lump sum, but three other carriers added dishes to the tower and they now get monthly payments from the additional carriers using the tower. It's an eye sore, but is near the property line at the front of the property and is easily accessible. It doesn't distract much from the place where it's at. I think the tower guys are out there pretty frequently, but it hasn't caused any issues that I know of. They are on about 80 acres, so easier to be out of the way and not notice the tower guys coming and going.

Comment

Would be a good retirement supplement. Or the difference between hunting East Texas or Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      Either way there will be a cell tower within visibility of your place if you say no. Mine as well get paid to see it.
                      Im with this guy! Your could carve out a corner and get a check. WIN WIN WIN. You could turnaround and sell (except the portion the tower is on) find a new place and let the tower pay for it! Just my .02

Comment

how much are they offering? is it enough for you to add some improvements or use it to offsets payments for additional land purchase?

how tall will it be?

will you get additional revenue if other carriers start adding antennas or dishes or repeaters?

fair market increase in rents?

liability waivers?

removal bond if the company goes out of business?

i would sure think about it because they are wanting to put one in your area.

might as well get paid.

Comment

I wish Verizon would put one on my place, then maybe my service wouldn’t SUUUCK !

Comment

Think of all the buzzards that would roost there and enjoy your gut pile.
                            Haha

Comment

My grandma had one on her place for 10 years. My parents own the land now and the tower is gone. We still have a nice road because of it

Comment

Working...
                              X