Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big would a rattlesnake have to be to be record sized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Breezy had one or a pic of one that was about 8' correct?

Comment

I shot these 2 a few years back. My buddy’s grandpa took a pic with them, he’s over 6 feet tall. The rattler in his left hand was clearly over 6ft.
      Attached Files

Comment

96” was the record for an eastern diamondback

Comment

Biggun

Hey guys-Awesome thread. I have the pleasure of hunting with a small group of TBH-ers down in South Texas (Webb county) and they flat out get BIG down here.
          I harvested this guy last and he was just at 7’ long. I guess someone put him on the book of faces (I’m not on social media) and I eventually had a news company call me to interview me regarding my “world record rattlesnake” HAHAHA. Anyhow I’ll look back but I think 83” long and around 16” around….not a record but definitely a heck of a snake!
          And YES he is being mounted full body in a south texas scene with a bobcat and a quail etc….HONOR YOUR HARVEST!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

That's a sure enough biggun, but are you sure about the 16" circumference? It looks like you could put your hands around that one.

Comment

p.s. Bourland, I'm certain he could strike above those boots!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                Taxidermists buy them...
                Only if killed gently.. Blown in half or head gone = no good..
                Alcohol injection to the brain is the best. Or freezing alive..

Comment

I've tanned some 6-7 footers from south Texas but the biggest I've personally seen was in McCulloch county 20 years ago. I didnt kill it either. I wish I could have caught but it gave me the slip in the thick shinery.. It was HUGE!! The girth was unreal.

Comment

I killed one at First Point several years ago that was bigger around than the two that the older gentleman is holding but not as big as Bourland’s. That’s a helluva snake ! The one I killed was the biggest I’ve ever seen in the flesh dead or alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      That's a sure enough biggun, but are you sure about the 16" circumference? It looks like you could put your hands around that one.

Oh he's right about the girth Randy! That sucker didn't even look real he was so fat!! AND WHERE HE KILLED IT... well, I'd a probably just stayed in the truck!! Snake was hunting his feeder... It was wet and had rained a lot... Buffelgrass was over knee deep... He waded in and capped that sucker with his pistola!!

Couple weeks later, saw another one almost as big and he got away!!

BUT, strange thing is, we have not seen a snake on the ranch since the big Feb. 21 freeze... I know it didn't get 'em all, but I really believe it knocked 'em back drastically... Rancher last time I talked to him said him nor his cowboys had run across any either...
                      AND I'M OK WITH THAT!!

Comment

Well, I stand corrected...again!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Only if killed gently.. Blown in half or head gone = no good..
                          Alcohol injection to the brain is the best. Or freezing alive..
                          Ours in Llano always had live ones...

Comment

Biggest I've seen was one my buddies caught. It was right at 84".

I'm supposed to be going with some buddies to South Texas next year to catch some.

Comment

When we measured for the longest rattlesnakes at our roundups, we always measured live snakes. A lot of difference in the length of a live snake and a dead snake.

Comment

Measure

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                When we measured for the longest rattlesnakes at our roundups, we always measured live snakes. A lot of difference in the length of a live snake and a dead snake.
                                Yep. You are correct. The taxidermist gave me the actual measurement. He’s a TOAD. Almost 8’ held straight up!

Comment

Working...
                                X