No announcement yet.

2022 Food Plot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I broadcasted 50lb of cowpeas into the standing clover/vetch/rye mix and rolled it down. Rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mountaineer, I like your method of planting. I’ve read about it but I’ve never tried it. Please keep us posted on the progress of you I&C peas.

Comment

Mountaineer, how is your termination percentage with that crimper? Pretty high? Looking at getting a cultipacker, but didn't know if the crimper was much better.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
          Mountaineer, how is your termination percentage with that crimper? Pretty high? Looking at getting a cultipacker, but didn't know if the crimper was much better.
          I don't know, it works pretty good on soft stems like clover, vetch, buckwheat and winter peas but the wheat/rye/grasses are tough. I'll spray it in a few days if needed. I sprayed last year after rolling and that worked great but there is was still some white clover under there that might make it into June if I don't spray.

If I didn't have this thing, I'd probably try the packermaxx or other heavier cultipacker. I'd love to have a real crimper and no-till drill, but that's not going to happen for a few acres of plots.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Here is my approach to this years spring plot

https://youtu.be/0yNU6htsW58
            Looking forward to seeing the results. Hope they turn out just as good as the usual, but I am a little skeptical that the "free" fertilizer and less thatch/organic material will be better alternative to your usual application. However, I am glad you are doing it so I can see if it will work. Hope it does!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Here is my approach to this years spring plot

https://youtu.be/0yNU6htsW58
              Why not broadcast seed then graze with a high stocking rate? Would save diesel fuel.

Comment

Planted green cover seed summer soil builder mix. So far so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD62AD40-642B-439D-8977-5179F111A9B9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	24682837

Click image for larger version

Name:	AD8E81A0-7CF1-4E2D-9436-4EA51BFD91D1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	24682838

Comment

Just found iron and clay peas yesterday. I know its late but putting them in the ground tomorrow. Hoping for the best

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                    Just found iron and clay peas yesterday. I know its late but putting them in the ground tomorrow. Hoping for the best
                    It’s really not that late. I’ve planted several times in May due to weather or ground temps. Better late than too early IMO. I suspect your crop will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                      As Don just said it’s not to late if you can get some rain on it to get it started.

Comment

Good germination a week after broadcasting. I did spray some of the plot where the grasses were thicker so now there is some clover and vetch still growing in areas that weren’t sprayed. Hopefully the deer don’t wipe it out before the cowpeas get a little taller and we get some more rain.

I had a few pigs show up in the last week and I think if I had disked the plot they would’ve torn it apart to get the peas. I’m guessing they’re not as attracted to areas that don’t have disturbed soil, but I don’t know. I usually don’t have any pigs around to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like your gonna have a good stand.

Comment

Good info here.

Comment

We finally got our buckwheat in the ground the first of the week. When I plant that guarantees it won’t rain again until September. ……….
                              Attached Files

Comment

i hope youre wrong cuz im planting this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X