2013 Dodge 2500 HD - Need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Dodge 2500 HD - Need opinions

About a block away from me is this Dodge truck. 5.7 Hemi, gasser. 45,000 miles, and I suspect most of them are around Plano. No dings, dents, or rust. Looks like it has been garage kept, its entire life.

I have not talked to the owner, yet, because I know nothing about Dodge trucks.

Anyone with experience with this particular model? Problems/Issues or even good things. I would like to know.

TIA,
    Randy

Randy,

I've had a 2012 1500 4x4 (5.7 Hemi) since 2014--no issues aside from normal maintenance. I love the driving characteristics on and off road. Only 100,000 mis, so I can't speak beyond that.

Good luck.

Comment

Ask him if it’s had a camshaft replacement and look close at the oil service intervals and type of oil. 4 WD?

Comment

We have four 2015 5.7 3/4 tons in our fleet. ALL of them have had the TIPM fail before 60k miles. When they failed on us, they would crank and crank but send no power to the fuel pump, and sometimes would also take out the fuel pump as they failed due to low voltage. TIPM is the integrated power module and controls the fuel pump, headlights and other things (it’s a big fuse box really). The dealer fix is to replace it at over $1k in parts each time. And some of these trucks failed again a few thousand miles later. Our fix has been to add relays to the wiring harnesses and bypass the TIPM for the fuel pump. $10 in parts and 30 minutes of labor beats $1k+ at the stealership. Easy enough fix but something you shouldn’t have to do to keep a truck on the road. Especially with so few miles.

BUT don’t let that scare you too much away from the truck. We have about 8 of the half tons with the 5.7 with the same TIPM and no issue. And my personal rig is a 2014 with the exact same TIPM and (knock on wood) no problems at 155k miles. So I would only be concerned if the truck seems rode hard and put up wet, which based on what you described, doesn’t seem to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Ask him if it’s had a camshaft replacement and look close at the oil service intervals and type of oil. 4 WD?
          I think it is 2 WD. I have not really stopped to look at the truck. I am doing background research, first.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredLikeRed View Post
            We have four 2015 5.7 3/4 tons in our fleet. ALL of them have had the TIPM fail before 60k miles. When they failed on us, they would crank and crank but send no power to the fuel pump, and sometimes would also take out the fuel pump as they failed due to low voltage. TIPM is the integrated power module and controls the fuel pump, headlights and other things (it’s a big fuse box really). The dealer fix is to replace it at over $1k in parts each time. And some of these trucks failed again a few thousand miles later. Our fix has been to add relays to the wiring harnesses and bypass the TIPM for the fuel pump. $10 in parts and 30 minutes of labor beats $1k+ at the stealership. Easy enough fix but something you shouldn’t have to do to keep a truck on the road. Especially with so few miles.

BUT don’t let that scare you too much away from the truck. We have about 8 of the half tons with the 5.7 with the same TIPM and no issue. And my personal rig is a 2014 with the exact same TIPM and (knock on wood) no problems at 155k miles. So I would only be concerned if the truck seems rode hard and put up wet, which based on what you described, doesn’t seem to be the case.
            Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
              Thanks for the info.
              Yea I forgot about that little feature....I wonder if poor batteries/charge system integrity lends to the failure of that module.

Comment

Working...
              X