G.S. advice on buying first boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G.S. advice on buying first boat

Wife and I are wanting to get a boat for fishing. We probably will be fishing lakes mainly. It will be a first boat for us and not wanting to rob a bank to pay for it. We would like to buy new so we would hopefully have some kind of warranty on it. Suggestion from her brother was something in the 19-21ft range.

Does the G.S. have any suggestions or opinions on what I need to look for or a place to go look at. We are in the Canton area.

Thanks

1st thing I would advise is do some playing on web to see what is all out there & what you defintely want or can do without. Bad time to be buying ,but it is what it is. ride in the different boats you are interested in. A ride can be a quick way to to see if you like how it handles etc.

Comment

I’ve thought long and hard about buying one so I’ll add my pros and cons.

First off “breaking the bank” means a different number in the boat world than it used to, at least for me. They have gotten much more expensive.

Also, if there is an option to test before purchase, I’d take full advantage of it. Like cars, I probably wouldn’t buy one without testing it if it’s new. Make sure you get exactly what you want with hull, design and motor. All that other stuff can be upgraded or changed. Not to say that you can’t get a nice trolling motor or depth finder as well, but that’s ever evolving technology it seems so 10 years from now there will be bigger better. Make sure you have the exact storage you want. Think about it’s primary usage. What all will you need to store in the boat. You may be able to get by with one live well if all you do is buy the occasional minnows and always catch and release. It’s nice having two though IMO. I think 19-21 is the perfect length in that situation based off what I’ve looked at as well. I’d also get the biggest motor you can. I’d rather be running the biggest engine and have basic trolling motors and depth finders than the other way around. It’s nice to get on plane and get where you’re going than give up 30 mph and take a football field to plane out. It’s also nice when the unexpected storm rolls in and you can get off the water fast. Getting struck by lightening doesn’t feel good. Even if it’s a charge off the lake surface. Ask me how I know.

If there is a chance you’d take it to the salt, get a motor built to withstand salt as well as trolling motor and be sure to wash it and run it in fresh water as soon as you get done as well as rinse it down and wash it. That salt can be very corrosive. It will destroy a regular trolling motor. Again, ask me how I know.

I live around houston so there are several boat places because of lake Conroe. I have no idea on any of them because I’ve never gotten that far into the buying process. Im sure you have plenty of options to go look in the dallas area due to all the lakes up around there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, one more thing I’ll add. And no way is this an insult. Only buy if you can truly afford it. Ole economy isn’t looking so good. But, if you can afford it, go for it. If my wife and I were passionate about fishing we’d probably own a boat. And we’d use it often. But that would be our annual “splurge” so to speak. We wouldn’t do hunting trips or vacations. At least if you can afford it and things do get crazy, you can get away from it all and go hang out with each other on the lake by yourself and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Comment

Go to a big marina, walk around the docks and look at 100's of boats, pontoons, center consoles, deck boats, bass boats, skiffs, jon boats, run abouts, walk through with bow seating, lots of choices. See what appeals to you and your wife.

Some marinas secure their docks from casual observers, some don't.
          Those that do, sometimes have the access open on the weekends.

Do you need room for a few other folks? Will you be doing some cruising and sight seeing?
          Running jug lines and trotlines? Kids and grandkids in your future? How will the boat work on a day at the lake with them?
          If it floats, you can fish from it.

My personal opinion is to insist on a galvanized or aluminum trailer, They will far outlast a painted steel trailer

Everyone has their opinion about motors. 99% of the time any motor brand will serve you well if maintained. Lean towards a brand that has good service in your local area

Storage is a issue also, Decide where you will be storing it and buy accordingly.
          Last edited by texasair; 05-22-2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

100% agree on the storage aspect….get a good enclosed storage preferably and at a bare minimum a covered storage with a boat cover.

Find out your primary usage; bass fishing, cat fishing, crappie, etc. and pick a budget. You can spend $30k on a boat or you can spend $100k so really need to decide on a budget and work within those parameters.

Also take all factors into consideration:

First boat I bought I messed up and got a good boat that had a very limited range of use. It was not comfortable in any kind of chop, would get you soaked, and wasn’t very versatile. For the same money I could have gotten a middle of the road center console that would have been a much better fit for me but I wanted to be unique so I went with a custom rig that ended up not being a good fit.

Just bought my second boat and we had to take ALL the factors into consideration including leisure activities like ski’ing, Tubing as well as just anchored up hanging out so we ended up getting a Tahoe deck boat from bass pro, and I will say I do like it.

Tracker marine has a good selection and I would look at their Nitro line of bass boats if that’s your thing, the Makos are a good CC option.

I’m a big engine guy so I tend to equip boats with the biggest engine they can handle and that’s where a lot of the cost comes in, but a 19-20’ bass boat can run fine with a 150 hp engine.

Boats are a ton of fun and if you use it they are definitely an investment into your life

Comment

In before the break out another thousand boobs.

Budget is going to decide what you buy now days. Buy what makes you happy as long as it's not a fish n ski or something with a walk through windshield. Note says I wanted a boat but my wife told me she needs more seats like a fish n ski

No one boat is perfect for everything. Probably why there are 3 at my place nowadays. Center consoles are nice for room, kids etc, but they can be a pain to get in and out of without a proper platform on the rear. Deck boats catch wind, jon boats catch waves

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Quackerbox; 05-22-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                In before the break out another thousand boobs.

That and the “ happiest day of a boat owners life is…”

Boats are very low maintenance these days and very reliable. I just got back from Choke Canyon and was fishing out of my uncles 92’ champion boat. He uses it 1-3 times a year now and it fires right up every time. Other than simple maintenance and replacing batteries it’s been a pretty problem free rig.

Comment

I want know more about the 1000 boobs.....

Comment

If a bass boat and new, get the largest engine that it is rated for.

Comment

Did this about two years ago. Went with a 2000 classic 20ft bluewave with a 140 Suzuki. Love the boat. I chase cats and whites. Make sure you do the right electronics and trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayniecat23 View Post
                        Lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by Hayniecat23 View Post
                          Frogies next weekend. They will come

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Frogies next weekend. They will come

A 1000 boobs couldn’t get me back to froggies.

Comment

Wasn’t there a 4000$ boat posted yesterday? Clean as a whistle

Comment

Working...
                              X