Ethics question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics question.

The car stories thread got me thinking about what happened with my current vehicle that I bought a few years ago. The dealer forgot to add in charge for the CM skirted flatbed which is 8-10k option. I thought I made a really good deal on the truck which ended up being what a cab and chassis cost. Anyways they called a few weeks after I bought the truck and was fishing to see if I’d pony up any money which I didn’t. I still feel a little guilty about it curious to see what anyone else would have done in my shoes?

If you bought it for the price they were asking and they didn't catch it that's on them. It's not your fault.

Comment

No way I’d pay it. As a business owner I’d never call a client and say hey I forgot to charge you for the blah blah blah after they’ve already paid me.

Comment

I would’ve done the same as you. It’s their job to ensure everything is accounted for and charged. Not your fault they slipped up. Sounds like they learned a good lesson...I bet that salesman double checks items like that every time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You think they’d ever call you to tell you you paid too much and come pick up this check???

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
            You think they’d ever call you to tell you you paid too much and come pick up this check???

This is all the logic you need on this one. Congratulations you got a free upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What would you do if you made the mistake?? Remember some one is watching and it isn't Santa Clause

Comment

If you bought the vehicle in good faith, meaning that you did not know of the mistake at the time of purchase, you are good to go. The auto retail business is so loaded with incentives, ridiculous list prices, etc. that the average person has no idea what a good deal looks like. I bought a brand new truck a few years back for fifteen thousand under sticker price. I think that it was a good deal. I also think that the dealer made a profit or they would not have proposed the price to me.

I had a somewhat similar situation back when we built our home. Probably a year after we had finished building and converted from a construction loan to a permanent mortgage, I met a man that is in the flooring business. I forget why I was in the store but when he heard my name, he got sort of a funny look on his face. I asked if something was wrong. He asked a couple of details about our home then proceeded to inform me that they had never been paid for the carpet or tile that they supplied to our contractor. I felt really bad for him. I told him that I was sorry but I had paid in full and wasn't in a position to make it right. A couple of months later a detective from the Department of Public Safety paid me a visit. That was a new one to me. Anyway, the subject was unpaid vendors that supplied materials for our home build. We talked a bit and eventually he asked about my agreement with the contractor. I said that I had paid in full and had records to prove it. I told him that I would grab the file and turn everything over to him the next day, but that I needed it all back as I did not intend to make copies of everything. He took the file and copied everything for evidence and that was the last that I heard from them.

I felt really bad about the whole situation but never once questioned whether or not I should pay my contractor's bad debt. I had no control over his dealings or the vendor's dealings, so what went on between them has nothing to do with me.

Comment

I would not feel bad at all. I spent a lot of time looking for a good deal on a new truck. Called all over the US trying to buy at the advertised price. Its a big scam.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    The car stories thread got me thinking about what happened with my current vehicle that I bought a few years ago. The dealer forgot to add in charge for the CM skirted flatbed which is 8-10k option. I thought I made a really good deal on the truck which ended up being what a cab and chassis cost. Anyways they called a few weeks after I bought the truck and was fishing to see if I’d pony up any money which I didn’t. I still feel a little guilty about it curious to see what anyone else would have done in my shoes?
                    “I still feel a little guilty”.... I think you answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      No way I’d pay it. As a business owner I’d never call a client and say hey I forgot to charge you for the blah blah blah after they’ve already paid me.
                      100%. You just chalk that up as a loss and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                        If you bought the vehicle in good faith, meaning that you did not know of the mistake at the time of purchase, you are good to go. The auto retail business is so loaded with incentives, ridiculous list prices, etc. that the average person has no idea what a good deal looks like. I bought a brand new truck a few years back for fifteen thousand under sticker price. I think that it was a good deal. I also think that the dealer made a profit or they would not have proposed the price to me.

I had a somewhat similar situation back when we built our home. Probably a year after we had finished building and converted from a construction loan to a permanent mortgage, I met a man that is in the flooring business. I forget why I was in the store but when he heard my name, he got sort of a funny look on his face. I asked if something was wrong. He asked a couple of details about our home then proceeded to inform me that they had never been paid for the carpet or tile that they supplied to our contractor. I felt really bad for him. I told him that I was sorry but I had paid in full and wasn't in a position to make it right. A couple of months later a detective from the Department of Public Safety paid me a visit. That was a new one to me. Anyway, the subject was unpaid vendors that supplied materials for our home build. We talked a bit and eventually he asked about my agreement with the contractor. I said that I had paid in full and had records to prove it. I told him that I would grab the file and turn everything over to him the next day, but that I needed it all back as I did not intend to make copies of everything. He took the file and copied everything for evidence and that was the last that I heard from them.

I felt really bad about the whole situation but never once questioned whether or not I should pay my contractor's bad debt. I had no control over his dealings or the vendor's dealings, so what went on between them has nothing to do with me.
                        This is why you get a lien release signed by the contractor and notarized before you make the final payment.

Comment

Purchased a cabin from a place, same bs, they call me and tell me they sold it to me too cheap and needed an additional 300$. Told em i dont think so, told em they better have it delivered when we agreed in the purchase contract to have it delivered. It showed up.

Comment

I had a local business(which I’d just spent $1500 with) call me to say I’d need to come by and give them an extra $15 they forgot to charge me. I went and paid it. They thanked me for my quick response and coming to pay them. I thanked them for having the balls to call and tell me I owed them $15 more dollars. Lol

In your case, no way I’d feel bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post

This is why you get a lien release signed by the contractor and notarized before you make the final payment.
                              My builder filed for bankruptcy about 6 weeks after I closed on my house. I received a letter from the company that installed the blinds stating that the placed a lien against me/my house. I was hot! I called that builder’s home office and lit them up (probably made a fool out of myself)! I also called the company that installed the blinds and told them their beef was with the builder because I paid my bill. The lien was eventually removed.

Comment

Working...
                              X