Redding Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redding Dies

I've got a 6.5 PRC coming with the TBH APR special. I've always used RCBS dies for all my other cartridges. I'm looking for something "better" for this one. I'm looking at the Redding premium series deluxe 3 die set. Is the competition seater worth the extra $70 over their micrometer seater? I've checked Redding site for details but their site is useless.

I'm in the same boat just farther away from the dock. I am shooting my APR 6.5 PRC and the factory 143/147 work good. I want to reload and try for better groups. I already have H1000, 143-ELDx and almost 200 once fired cases. Need to pull the trigger on dies before an August hunt and I've only ever used RCBS dies.

Following.

Comment

I have a couple sets of some of the lower end Redding dies, they are pretty good, basically very close to RCBS. I have seen some of the higher end Redding dies, maybe should have gotten some for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but at this point I could not see a reason. I do have some Whidden Gun Works dies, with a micro meter seater die. Man, I got to say I like those, but not sure it really does anything that results in greater accuracy, over what can be done with good quality dies. If I had the money, I would not mind getting some of the micrometer seater dies for most calibers I load.

I have mostly RCBS dies, and have had RCBS dies for close to 40 years. Never had and problems with them other than problems I caused. I have bought a couple of sets of Hornady dies, both sets were garbage, won't buy any for any purpose ever again. Then I bought the Widden Gun Works dies, those are nice, but wish I could have got something a bit cheaper, but it was my one and only choice for the wildcat caliber I have. Since the Widden Gun Works dies, I have bought two sets of Reddding dies. They are definitely good pieces, yes, if I had more money, I would have bought the micrometer Redding dies, unless you are a bench rest shooter, I can't see a purpose to buy better dies.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-13-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

For my precision stuff I use either the Redding Competition seater or Forster micrometer seater. Since I have a Forster Co-Ax press I really like the Forster dies since they come with the proper lock ring to fit the Co-Ax press.

I recently bought a set of Whidden dies with a full length sizer with bushings and a Micrometer seater. I will report back when I get a chance to actually load with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Whidden or Wilson when it comes to good dies.

Comment

The higher end or “match” die sets are great. I’ve used them with great success. I hear good things about whidden and Wilson but have never pulled the trigger because I like my Redding match sets so much. At some point I will though, just to say I did.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              The higher end or “match” die sets are great. I’ve used them with great success. I hear good things about whidden and Wilson but have never pulled the trigger because I like my Redding match sets so much. At some point I will though, just to say I did.

Sierracharlie out…

Same here. I don’t have an arbor press and Wilson dies..............yet.

Comment

I'm currently using Lee dies for my 6.5 PRC. I'm shooting less than .5 MOA with 130 grain Scirocco's so I'm pretty pleased. I've been eyeing the same Redding Dies you are, but haven't pulled the trigger. I haven't checked the runout of my Lee dies, but since I'm getting such good groups that Redding dies may not make much difference. I may just get the competition bullet seater because I do like being able to accurately dial the seating depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                  I've got a 6.5 PRC coming with the TBH APR special. I've always used RCBS dies for all my other cartridges. I'm looking for something "better" for this one. I'm looking at the Redding premium series deluxe 3 die set. Is the competition seater worth the extra $70 over their micrometer seater? I've checked Redding site for details but their site is useless.
                  Are you hunting or shooting matches? I can tell you that the brand of brass will be more important than the brand of dies you use. A competition seating die does not guarantee no run out. There are ways to improve run out with a standard seating die. The neck sizing die that comes with the set you are talking about is not the greatest set up unless it has bushings. Brass thickness varies and will create different neck tension which can cause accuracy issues. Then you have to buy a neck turner. It never ends.

Lol, I’m not gonna lie here cause my OCD Kills me at times. You would probably be better off buying a regular set of RCBS dies first. You can always buy a neck bushing die or a better seating die if needed. There is nothing wrong with backing off the full length sizer die .002 and just bump the shoulder. You can use a 7/8 rubber o ring between the seating die and press, that lets the die float and help alignment between the case and the die to eliminate run out.
                  Last edited by Radar; 03-13-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

If you’re going to jam the bullet against the lands like some guys do with Berger bullets, runout does not seem to be as important.

One benefit to competition seating dies though is they typically seat off the ogive of the bullet instead of the tip like standard dies. So if you are using some real long heavy VLD bullet the standard seater may leave a ring on the bullet tip.

I’m sorry if I confused you.

Comment

I load at the range using Wilson hand dies and a Hood press that accepts threaded dies for FL sizing and bumping the shoulder back when needed

Loading at the range is both efficient and convenient. Load 5 cases and shoot a group, adjust powder charge and seating depth/neck tension as needed. I learned this way 30 yrs ago from benchrest shooters who loaded rounds during competition matches

Group from one of my rifles
                      Last edited by Cajun Blake; 03-13-2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Blake you need to tighten that group up sir.

Comment

Used my first set of reddings 10 yrs ago. Helping a friend get into reloading. Sold all my RCBS when got home and now have ALL redding.

Comment

I’ve got a few sets of Redding bushing dies and the runout is very minimal but if you want the best then Wilson with an arbor press will get you right. I just use the 2 die set with full length with a bushing and a seater as I don’t buy into neck sizing only.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                              I’ve got a few sets of Redding bushing dies and the runout is very minimal but if you want the best then Wilson with an arbor press will get you right. I just use the 2 die set with full length with a bushing and a seater as I don’t buy into neck sizing only.

I’ve been wanting get an arbor press and try one of the Wilson seaters. What makes them so much more concentric that other dies?

Comment

Working...
                              X