X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow tells the story

So far I have found this to be true , maybe it will help others
    Attached Files

Found this online as well. May be helpful to go along with your picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

With all this knowledge, I’ll still hit that sucker in the **** worst places

Comment

In my experience, I have to aim lower when I am sitting in a tree. I have to remind myself every time to aim lower!

Comment

Gonna have to disagree on the blue dot. Maybe even the black one. Seen to many times when they drop and the arrow flies right over the back or in or under the spine. It's not they are ducking the arrow, but loading up the legs, in which they drop, sometimes as much as 2ft, in order for them to get the heck out of Dodge.
          Up in a tree, I like to aim just above the belly line.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Gonna have to disagree on the blue dot. Maybe even the black one. Seen to many times when they drop and the arrow flies right over the back or in or under the spine. It's not they are ducking the arrow, but loading up the legs, in which they drop, sometimes as much as 2ft, in order for them to get the heck out of Dodge.
            Under the spine is a lung shot, nothing wrong with under the spine. And yes, up in a tree you either need to aim low or bend at the waist and aim where you want to hit.
            Last edited by Duckologist; 10-25-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I can agree on the "aim" point, would probably be better if it stated "desired POI".

Comment

I tend to agree with this, especially if it's a doe... bucks just don't seem to jump the string as badly as a doe, and the more mature and dominant the buck, the less he's likely to react to the shot... I'm thinking he thinks he's the "bull of the woods" and is not so jumpy because he's not worried about some other deer or animal spooking him off his groceries... Just a theory of course, but seems to pan out for me.

Comment

My son drilled one at F8 last weekend. Arrow didn't really look to have any blood on it. It was definitely wet, but I guess fat cleaned the arrow on exit. I wanted to see a bloody arrow and that just wasn't the case.

Pic of arrow and video of shot below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	24596334

Click image for larger version

Name:	daneshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	24596335

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfggkZTwGQ"]Danes Big 8 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

All good info .... but adjust for your personal situation!

Comment

I don't understand the double lung heart shot hour wait.
                      Those dots are just about where I aim and never any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        I tend to agree with this, especially if it's a doe... bucks just don't seem to jump the string as badly as a doe, and the more mature and dominant the buck, the less he's likely to react to the shot... I'm thinking he thinks he's the "bull of the woods" and is not so jumpy because he's not worried about some other deer or animal spooking him off his groceries... Just a theory of course, but seems to pan out for me.
                        Ive got the same theory. Seems like most of the mature deer ive shot have never flinched at all. Meanwhile i have does of all ages doing acrobatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          Under the spine is a lung shot, nothing wrong with under the spine.
                          Depending on situation, but I hit one like that once. 13yd. shot, up about 12ft., aimed at the belly line (Buck was at full alert) and only got one lung. Deer went quite a ways, blood trail started out real good, then petered out. 5 of us looking, which 3 had given up and was back at the truck. I was already headed to the truck when the last guy hollered out to me. Walked over where he was and there laid the biggest buck I've ever shot.
                          That guy said, "An inch higher, we wouldn't be looking. He'd be right where you shot him"!!!

Comment

I follow this practice well whether in a tree stand or on the ground. Just aim a little above the belly line if not at it. Bucks - especially mature ones - seem less likely to jump the string as mentioned but I've not had one where I missed low because of this practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              Under the spine is a lung shot, nothing wrong with under the spine. And yes, up in a tree you either need to aim low or bend at the waist and aim where you want to hit.
                              BINGO! Been spouting this ever since I learned it years ago. Hunters have forgotten to "bend at the waist" when hunting from a tree or elevated platform. Just watch a bowhunting show and see how many "professionals" stand in a rigid upright position and wonder why they hit high. Put pin on the offside elbow....heart shot everytime.

I like both of those pics, very helpful.
                              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-25-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X