Freshwater Drum, Gasper goo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freshwater Drum, Gasper goo

Does anyone know of a good recipe for cooking freshwater drum (gasper goo)?

I've never heard of anyone eating them. Interested in the recipes here.

Comment

Hot grease! We fillet em and fry em like crappie and catfish! They are actually pretty dang good. They have a big rib area but you actually get a decent fillet off of them. Meat is real white and flaky

Comment

I've heard it is just like eating a black drum from the saltwater. I've never ate one, but I'd think a little hot grease and you're good.

Comment

Not my favorite but they will eat. Not to bad fried up but I generally toss them back. Livingston is full of them.

Comment

Just ate some over the weekend. Just cut the fillet into chunks and deep fat fried it. It was really good.

Comment

Prefer them blackened

Comment

I have eaten it boiled in crawfish boil many times and it's really good......and I'm a crappie guy.

Comment

I snuck one in with some crappie and nobody knew the difference.

Comment

I cut them up and use them as bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clean water and no bigger than 2 lbs or and really is good. Treat just like any fish. Light, flaky white meat. Lacks the sweet taste salt gives black drum but almost the same overall and maybe less fishy and definite less bloody. Remember keep em small. Not much meat. Never had one from muddy waters so may be a difference critter.

Comment

Fry them up like you would a crappie or sandbass....most folks won't be able to tell the difference and most would prefer it over a sandbass with their redlines still in.

Comment

You can dang near fry anything and with the right sauce make it taste good.

Comment

We fish for em every spring during the spawn. I keep enough for my favorite meal. The make a great courtbouillon and I also fry some as well. Fried fillets makes a great pusher for dat rice and gravy. They're easy to catch and fun to catch, great for the women who love to fish. I took my wife and my sister on Good Friday and they caught em until we ran out of bait.

Comment

Was curious what you use for bait?

Comment

Working...
                              X