DIY Trailer Lift install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Trailer Lift install

Spring-Over-Axle swap on a tandem 14’ trailer.

- kit purchased from etrailer.com... about $50 per axle... needed 2 kits for tandems. Super simple kit made by Dexter. Whole thing can be bolted on- Instructions “recommend” tack welding the perches. Took roughly an hour and a half.

- reason: departure-angle sucked. Brother in law is a realtor who sells ranches all over the place, and many have poor roads just getting to them. He hauls his MULE to show the properties. Trailer would drag going through low water crossings and such.
    Last edited by HainesNYT; 02-05-2020, 11:24 PM.

Not a tons of pics on this one guys, sorry. Holler if you have any questions.

Before pics:

Comment

Stock... lifting with Hi-lift, still connected to MULE that was used to back it up and jackknife it as close to my over-flowing shop as possible... for welder to reach.

Comment

I don’t have a before pic, with the springs mounted under the axle, but, you can see the original spring perch on the bottom of the axle.

The top of the leaf spring pack was flush against the bottom perch.

In this pic, I highlighted the difference in height. I didn’t measure it, but it is about 5” of lift, total. So, the diameter of the axle and the thickness of the spring perch will dictate the total lift.

Comment

The kit came with a set of new spring perches, new- longer U-bolts with nuts, and some long nuts that are used to ensure proper angle of the axle. The new perches have studs welded on that the long bolts will thread onto. These nuts will be adjusted till they press against the bottom perches.

You only have to remove one shackle bolt to drop the springs to move them over the axle.

Instructions said to cut the brake wires ... we didn’t, this trailer had plenty of slack in the wiring.

Once we got it all tightened up, I welded the perches, on each side, to prevent them from slipping.

Comment

End result: about 5” of lift. Departure angle of the trailer, greatly improved. Approach angle of MULE into the trailer has been changed greatly... no problem for any “off road” vehicle. It would probably be an issue for any mower.

Comment

Enough fender clearance to put a little larger tires on it in the near future.

Comment

Pretty cool. I have clearance issues in my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                  Enough fender clearance to put a little larger tires on it in the near future.
                  Lol, bigger tires. Such a Texas thing to say. FWIW, I have a camper with the axles underneath and threw bigger tires on myself.

Good build, thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                    End result: about 5” of lift. Departure angle of the trailer, greatly improved. Approach angle of MULE into the trailer has been changed greatly... no problem for any “off road” vehicle. It would probably be an issue for any mower.

I like your yard art in the background, are you raising them for meat or horns?

Comment

Love taller tires on trailers, slows the bearings down and doesn't bounce as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Love taller tires on trailers, slows the bearings down and doesn't bounce as bad.

You know I have never thought about the bearings like that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great now..... Now I have another project to do!

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            I like your yard art in the background, are you raising them for meat or horns?

I like them too . Trying to get some bigger horns on them... sell a few to neighbors and such, the rest go to the auction. The new bull comes from very good pedigree, and has pretty giant horns for not yet being 3.

Comment

Thanks for all the complements folks. I post these types in hopes it will help someone who is on the fence about tackling some of these projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X