Hog Trap Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some progress.

Drilled the “pin” to sink a 1/4” grade bolt, and welded it in place. This will simply act as a stop to keep the pin from being pulled out after the pigs are caught and going crazy in the trap.... kicking the 1/8” cable/trip wire.

Comment

Added another sleeve for the pin to travel through. I think a little white lithium grease will keep both the front and rear sleeves smooth for the pin to travel through.

Added a half of a chain link for the turn buckle to secure to, and the cable loop secures to the other end of the turn buckle. This allows for fine tuning/ hair-trigger settings.

Pulleys welded to top and bottom rails of the rear of the trap. Should assist in smooth cable movement.

Comment

Comment

The end of the cable has a loop connected to a “U” I bent out of 1/2” rod. It is welded to the top of the bottom rail. This suspends the trip wire about 1 3/4” off the ground. As you can see it only goes across the one corner of the trap. I have had good success with this design.

Sprinkle/pour corn through the entrance...down the middle of the trap...maybe favoring the opposite side of the trip wire. Then put a small pile in the corner and sprinkle a little corn in line with the trip wire. You can several pigs inside, eating the main pile. When that starts to dwindle, at least one will head to the corner and trip the wire. BAMM, BACON!

Comment

One side welded up.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post

One side welded up.
              Coming along great. Wish I didn’t live in an apt and could do projects again.

Comment

Coming along great. Tagging in to see how it winds up.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

looking good

Comment

Looking good! roughly what are the dimensions of the trap?

Comment

Great thread!
                        Subscribed.
                        Thanks for sharing and the build a long.

This type of build is definitely in my future.

Comment

Great looking bacon buster, that's a fun still set you have. Aside from the extra t-post anchors, what do you like about this design that the "inspiration"was missing? Looks like bigger square tubing?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            Looking good! roughly what are the dimensions of the trap?

3’tall, 4’ wide, 8’ long

Comment

Originally posted by Soybean View Post
                              Great looking bacon buster, that's a fun still set you have. Aside from the extra t-post anchors, what do you like about this design that the "inspiration"was missing? Looks like bigger square tubing?

I used primed square tubing on this. Probably a tad lighter yet more rigid than the V1.0. The trigger mechanism on this one is the real improvements. It should be permanent and be easy to adjust. The extra t-post anchors maybe overkill, as the original held everything it ever caught with no issues.

Comment

My dry cut/cold cut saw was desperately in need of a new blade. I have been going to higher and higher tooth-count blades... thinking it would take smaller bites and be less likely to bust the carbide off the teeth. Well, I found this Evolution blade, I think it’s 36 tooth, instead of 80 that was on my last one. This has a “guard” similar to a chainsaw chain. Anyone ever use one? I’m going to give’r a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X