Ear Plug String Slap Silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ear Plug String Slap Silencers

Tried a new string silencer for my bow, as suggest by Cameron Root. Ear plugs.

Couldn't make them stay on the string. The string cuts them, and they fly off after just a few shots.

So, I then tried something different.

I moved them up, where they slap into my velcro disc slap pads on the limbs, and reinstalled my yarn silencers at their original positions.

Talk about quiet !!!!

This bow just goes "fffffttt" when I shoot it now.

Took the sound down to a whole new level (actually several levels) of quiet.

Zero impact on performance.

Couldn't stand the green, so I colored them with a black sharpie a little. Gonna find some orange ones.

Used a piece of serving, and a needle to pull the string through the plugs.

Rick

Nice idea Rick. How far do you pull it through the string before tying it off? How much of the earplug is between the string and the bow - about half?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      Nice idea Rick. How far do you pull it through the string before tying it off? How much of the earplug is between the string and the bow - about half?
      They aren't tied off.
      I just pulled them through, and lined them up on my velcro slap pads.
      They are staying put real well so far.

Those are whole ear plugs. They just compressed when I put the string through them, and stayed that way. Still very soft/spongy.

Rick

Comment

Oh I see now - you pulled the string through the plug. I was thinking you inserted them into the string by untwisting.

Comment

That's genius!

I need to try this.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWIsPbolbME"]Homemade Recurve Bow Silencing System - YouTube[/ame]

Rick

Comment

That's a good idea to pull them through like that. I'll have to keep that in my pocket for my next recurve set up. Should be lighter on the string vs wrapping with yarn. I think I have some that are camo too.

Comment

Working...
              X