357 Mag relaoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

357 Mag relaoding

Acquired a 686 6 inch in 357 that i plan to use for some hunting. Given the current difficulty in finding ammo, I'm thinking of adding this to the reloading bench. Have only reoladed for rifles in the past, so what might i need to consider when it comes to revolver reloads? Specifically, is it important to crimp these loads? Have never crimped for my bolt action rounds. I could see it if this were a levergun, but does it matter for a revolver?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Most of my revolver hand loads, I did not crimp, but many guys claim you should. I never had any problems, not doing so. Loaded 357 Mag. lots of 44 Mag. and 454 Casull. I probably crimped the 454 loads, but don't remember.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-05-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I always crimp revolver loads. Especially with lightweight or heavy recoiling revolvers. I seat and crimp in separate stages. You can use three dies but I prefer four. Size die, deprime and expand case mouth, seat, then crimp.

Comment

Got ya. Does it play into anything more than keeping the bullet seated right, as in does it help keep the pressure high upon firing, keeping moisture out, etc? It's not something I've fully understood all the benefits and reasoning behind.

Any suggestions on velocity targets to aim for, if i plan to keep in the range of 158, maybe the occasional 180 grain bullet? Leaning towards H110 with a max of 1250 fps, but likely aim for 1150 to 1200. Idea is hogs and deer within 50 yds. Basing these numbers on my hornady load book

Comment

H110 is a good powder for .357. H110 likes a good crimp for proper ignition, and revolver loads, especially magnum loads should always be crimped anyway to prevent possible bullet jump in the cylinder from recoil, which will jam up the gun. H110 also likes near maximum level loads, if you were going to load less than maximum loads, I'd choose 2400, AA9, or even Blue Dot.

Comment

158 XTP and a max load of H110, give it a good roll crimp and you will be good to go.

Comment

Bullet jump is new to me, so I'll def be looking into that concept. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                Bullet jump is new to me, so I'll def be looking into that concept. Thanks for that.

And what he means by that just to be clear is upon firing the recoil can actually dislodge the other bullets in the casings in the other cylinders. Ive seen it happen on 44mag more than once.

H110 is a great powder for 357 as said above. I prefer a 158gr JSP or JHP

A simple light crimp never hurt anything.

The biggest thing to setup is your bell die. There is a fine line between to much and not enough bell. It will also play a factor on how well the crimp does and looks.

Comment

H110 and crimp.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    158 XTP and a max load of H110, give it a good roll crimp and you will be good to go.
                    This^^^ 357 Mag is the only pistol I reload for and typically load the Hornady 158 gr XTP for it. I have reloaded 125 gr bullets before as well but like the 158's.
                    H110 is a great powder for the 357 and I also always crimp into the cannelure.

Comment

Ok, next question. Can .357 dies perform on a .38? Aren't. 357 cases just a little longer or is there actually a difference in the neck that makes she sizing different? I've got plenty of 38 brass, not as much 357, so curious if it would reload range rounds and save the 357 for a mix of hunting and range .

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's the same set of dies for both 357 and 38. Look into the Lee factory crimp die.

Comment

Originally posted by ruger41 View Post
                          It's the same set of dies for both 357 and 38. Look into the Lee factory crimp die.
                          I was looking at them on midway, and in the drop down for one set, it had 38 and 357 to choose from, hence my confusion

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X