Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bow fishing arrow weight/draw weight for the bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bow fishing arrow weight/draw weight for the bow?

Been a while folks, sorry about that but this virus thing ramped up my work load like a fiend. Have a chance to go bow fishing this 4 day weekend and I stupidly weighed my Bear fishing arrow to compare to my draw weight. I understand that I'll not be shooting through air but this seems excessive 25lb Sage bow, 1466 grain arrow?? Too much weight for the light bow? I've still got the 45lb Grizzly that I can mount and fish with but that's my Cadillac and i don't want to ding it. Have my 60lb Grizz but was told that has no place on a boat.

Advice?

As always thank you for your tume.
    Richard.

25 is a little low imo I use an old compound and they can’t be very deep for me to hit them like 3 foot or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Sage set up for bowfishing. It presently has 45 pound limbs on it. I saw something the other day that rather intrigued me. Guys were bowfishing with regular arrows and using old broadheads that had a straight across back on them. I assume that they took a file and knocked the bevel off of the back side. Seeing that got me to thinking about those heavy fiberglass fishing arrows and how I could drop a couple hundred grains by using some of my junk aluminum arrows. I haven't shot at a fish in about three years now so I haven't experimented yet. It might be something that you want to try.

Comment

The weight is what makes it penetrate and stay going straight. I’ve done both ways and the arrows with broad heads plane in the water bad for me and don’t go deep at all

Comment

We shoot 25-30 pounds on dink gar all the time n shoot 35-40 on buffs n carp, use full length shaft n head of your choosing. The light weight shooting dink gar helps keep the arrow from going all the way through so you can get fish off quicker n keeps it from burying in the bottom so deep in real shallow water. You got make every min of your time count in tourneys especially if shoot 700+ in a night

Comment

25 will do fine

Comment

You guys must have better 25 pound recurves than I do

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                You guys must have better 25 pound recurves than I do

I agree. I had a 45lb recurve bring back just a scale many a time on larger buffalo, carp and gar.
                Personally a 50lb+ recurve is preferred for big gar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

mine is set at 35, but have turned it up to 50 when we went to the everglades

Comment

I use a 50# Martin Jaguar and works awesome, I've gotten two carp with one shot before several times when they are spawning.

Comment

Working...
                    X