Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get an update from you E-Bike hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we get an update from you E-Bike hunters?

Last year there were a couple of threads about using an electric mountain bike for hunting. I was intrigued and have since done some research but would like to hear from those of you that own one for this purpose. I'd use it mostly as a quiet way to go back and forth from the stand without getting sweaty and just cruising around the lease collecting camera cards. It looks like "entry level" bikes start at about $1,500. They generally have a 750 watt motor, max out at 20-25 mph and a range of 20-30 miles depending on terrain and how much you pedal. The "Rad Rover" is a popular brand in this category. The higher end bikes (like QuietKat) have 1500 watt motors and are faster but I'm not going to cough-up $3,000-4,000 for one of those. So, can anyone fill us in on the Rad Rover or similar rig? Does it have enough power? Has it lived up to expectations?
    Thanks!

Put in for the Laguna Atascosa hunt and ask the rangers about e bikes, they LOVE to talk about that. You'll get even more info if you argue with them lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Put in for the Laguna Atascosa hunt and ask the rangers about e bikes, they LOVE to talk about that. You'll get even more info if you argue with them lol
      I take it they are not allowed on public land?

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! You got that right! Seen some rigs down there. Wanted to rig one up myself but haven't been back down there in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I cant speak for all public hunts but NOT at Laguna.

When I was down there this old guy was arguing with the rangers for probably 15 minutes, I thought the rest of the hunters were gonna lynch him lol

Comment

Wes built two bikes himself and was told he couldn't use them on the public land we hunt in Oklahoma even though technically the bikes he built do not have enough output power to be considered a motor vehicle. but from the couple weeks he was able to use them they were awesome. id shoot him a PM if you have any questions.

Also I'm pretty sure his builds cost him way less then buying one outright

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              My understanding is it needs to be pedal assist, otherwise it is classified as a motor vehicle.
              It cannot have the ability to just twist a throttle and go. Must have some assistance from you.

Comment

The ones I seen at laguna were homemade rigs that were pedal assist. A person would really have to know what to look for to fig out that's what it was.

Comment

Get some lamas

Comment

Pedal assist means you get more battery time and mileage when you pedal, but you can just use the throttle for the motor to push you along. You just won't go as far or as long.
                    Look at Sondors electric bikes. They aren't super powerful-only 250/350 watt motors but they can be built up for more torque/hill climbing and longer run time.
                    Also they aren't as expensive as some of the other models.
                    I've used mine quite a bit on public land and it's gotten me to places I'd never seen before and I'd been hunting the area for 10 years. But then again I'm getting older and the arthritic hips aren't helping.
                    I've also ridden right up to deer as they aren't really sure what you are until you get closer.
                    The hardest thing to to and control though is speed. You have to realize your aren't on a manicured sidewalk when riding or a groomed ''off road bike trail".
                    There's horse prints in hardened mud, dips, wash outs, creek crossings, rocks to go over, limbs. After a 5 mile ride you can feel it in every bone in your body.

I suggest always to wear your helmet, a pair of good gloves and long pants every time you ride. And speed is not your friend--slow and steady is.
                    Attached Files

Comment

PM Humper.....He uses one at our place

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I'm picturing a guy with a deer draped over his shoulder riding a bike back to camp after the morning kill

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Of course he does...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Of course he does...

Not all of us can be camo PeeWee Herman

Comment

They aren’t allowed on any public land in Texas as far as I know, especially not down at the LANWR!

I’ve been looking at this one from Costco for a bit. It’s pedal assist and doesn’t have a big protruding battery like some do.

Comment

Working...
                              X