Stock market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
    my goal for the past 40 years was to accumulate enough money so that when retirement comes I will not have to be exposed to the stock market. Rather than count on the market to build my retirement I chose to systematically save 20-25% of my income each and every year and invest in a conservative manner.

I am now 66 years old - still working (only because I enjoy what I do) but I can retire at any point and generate enough income earning 3-4% on my investments to live like I want to live.

So my approach was different - I wanted to count on myself to save money during my accumulation years rather than hope and worry that the market would do it for me. Not saying the approach is for everybody but it is certainly one to consider if you are younger.

When you say “invest in a conservative manner” what did you invest in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
      my goal for the past 40 years was to accumulate enough money so that when retirement comes I will not have to be exposed to the stock market. Rather than count on the market to build my retirement I chose to systematically save 20-25% of my income each and every year and invest in a conservative manner.

I am now 66 years old - still working (only because I enjoy what I do) but I can retire at any point and generate enough income earning 3-4% on my investments to live like I want to live.

So my approach was different - I wanted to count on myself to save money during my accumulation years rather than hope and worry that the market would do it for me. Not saying the approach is for everybody but it is certainly one to consider if you are younger.
      What investments are you making 3-4% in that are conservative and will produce that each and every year?

Comment

All the conservative funds right now want to charge me if they keep my money! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          What investments are you making 3-4% in that are conservative and will produce that each and every year?
          My 401k has a fixed account with a minimum guarantee of 3.5% which is where the bulk of my money is - I also have some bond mutual funds mixed in -

I also have some indexed fixed annuities where the principal is guaranteed - each year any growth has been locked in - averaged over 5% the past 5-6 years with it - most likely will have no gains this year but also no losses
          Last edited by Huntingfool; 03-22-2020, 04:35 AM.

Comment

This is a great post. Another view is that b/c the market is down around 30%, many of us have lost our gains since the Trump years, but maybe not before. So if you sold or transferred investments today, wouldn’t you be where you were 4 years ago ? If you bought those investments prior, you may still be ok- but just loosing out on recent year gains.on the other hand, if your investments are more recent, you need to decide to wait it out or transfer into safer cash type instruments and get back in once things settle down. I think the answer is different for each individual based on age; years to retirement and risk tolerance. I agree with many of you that there are some good buying opportunities now.

Comment

Stock market

My 11yo son wants to invest his savings. What 4 stocks would y’all pick to invest in?

Comment

investment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                My 11yo son wants to invest his savings. What 4 stocks would y’all pick to invest in?

Low cost "Growth" mutual fund, reinvest dividends and just let it ride.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                  Low cost "Growth" mutual fund, reinvest dividends and just let it ride.

I was kinda thinking high risk atm. Hopefully doubling his money when the market gets back to normal and then putting it in a mutual fund or ETF for the long haul

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                    I know this is slamming a lot of people. Those on the edge of retirement who were incorrectly allocated in retirement accounts are in a world of hurt. A good lesson for everyone. For those with personal investments, suck it up, Buttercup, this is part of the game when we decided to get in.

I am loving every downward tick. I've held back cash and worked to build it up ever since the DOW was about to hit 20,000 a few years ago. I really thought our fascination with round numbers would cause a correction. Then had the pleasure of watching it gain to 30k with half of my assets parked on the sideline. Proof you can't (at least I suck at) timing the market.

Now it's game time. I will not time this down turn. I am trickling in each day it's down further. On bigger drop days (see yesterday afternoon) I double down. I'll keep this up until there is a sustained rally and the market is 5 or 10% above the low. Dollar cost averaging like this should help me take advantage of the low of the low. I won't be surprised (and will actually be thrilled) if DOW goes to 15k.

FYI, heavy on oil securities. Won't go individual stocks, but like ETFs with holdings only in American oil/gas companies.

At age 48 and happy to wait it out 3-10 years, it really could be a game changer for my family.

To everyone - one price of unsolicited advice: get that 2019 Roth max contribution into your acct immidiately. Don't miss the tax deadline to do that.

(thumb typing. No telling how ridiculous the post above may look)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    This ^^^^^ all day long.
                    I will let you know in 2-3 years how it worked.

Comment

Is it just me or are these current gains inflated. Some of these stocks mentioned here still seem destined to crash right? Mainly travel industry

Comment

Originally posted by trozy55 View Post
                        Is it just me or are these current gains inflated. Some of these stocks mentioned here still seem destined to crash right? Mainly travel industry
                        Happens every time markets tank. As soon as it seems everyone swears the DOW will tank even lower and "xyz" sector stocks will go BK everything turns and rallies super hard. And they usually don't look back much at all.

The only dip you may see will be once the media and/or your broker starts telling you bottom has been reached and it's time to start buying. That should be here after the DOW gains another 5-8% or hits around 23.5-24k JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          MPC baw.
                          Tried to tell you baws. Could have bought at $15 and change...… It is over $24 right now.

Comment

Money can be made or lost on rumors. Here ya go -

1. Yesterday is was announced Mike Pompeo called the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and stroked his ego good. Pompeo told the Crown Prince essentially, he could be a leader if he was to provide stability to the world markets.

2. The Crown Prince is the leader of the G20.
                            The G20 (or Group of Twenty) is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union (EU).

3. Trump announces the G20 met & he has exciting news to share today @ the Task Force Meeting - 4:00 CST.

Do your research and buy now if you dare.

Just say'n…….

Comment

Did buy 250 shares of Budweiser this morning. Seems deeply discounted and people aren’t going to stop drinking.

Comment

where y'all think it goes from here? I'm out of everything after one hell of a return and have now put shorts on. I don't see 5-10 companies holding the whole mkt up here

Comment

Working...
                                X