Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Show Pigs for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
      People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do?
      Good point and it's the answer here. They are eating 3x as much food, 3x as much at home. My family very rarely eats breakfast and lunch at home, maybe only on the weekends. So in reality, with a family of 5, I am now feeding 10-15 meals a day whereas I was only providing 5 meals a day at my home. I think that puts it in better context. I have plenty of food and access to plenty more easily. I am trying to keep ahead and save my freezer stockpile in case things get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        A large percentage of grocers are reserving the first 2 hours of operation during this COVID event to older citizens. The hysteria has made things difficult for them plus that age group definitely needs to have social spacing enforced.
        So strange--I'll be 74 in a few months and I would feel strange going to shop with the "old" folks. Now, if I was at zero balance on some essentials, I'd go but otherwise, no.

Comment

Originally posted by BRANDW View Post
          Packer margins are large right now, boxed beef continues to rise. Prices lower in the barn on feeder & stocker calves. Packer cow & bull prices are higher right now than they have been in year or more. The producers, and feedyards are feeling the pressure, unless they had the calves contracted way out.
          Exactly. San Saba reported prices are down $10. Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            Exactly. San Saba reported prices are down $10. Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?
            Interesting. I'm always wondering about this stuff, is there anywhere to go to keep up to date on the market reading wise?

Comment

It's crazy how the producer has always been on the low end and the middleman controls the agricultural markets. Been that way since post WW2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                So strange--I'll be 74 in a few months and I would feel strange going to shop with the "old" folks. Now, if I was at zero balance on some essentials, I'd go but otherwise, no.
                At 74 my dad would have said the same thing. 74 these days is much different.[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?
                  That should be some interesting data. I have been shopping for several older relatives the last two days. I have seen a lack of pork on the shelves but a fair amount of beef. I am seeing butchers cutting up whole pork loins into 3rds for smaller sales. Lots of whole briskets at $3.99/pound. Beef Roasts are around $5/pound which is high for me.

Comment

The dairy market was as bad as its ever been... with schools closed (our biggest market) it will/is going to drop even more. Of course it won’t drop in stores.... just at the source

For reference I sold a Good Bull calf last month (2 weeks old)...$7 BEFORE commission. They are worth more born dead (sad but true). Milk had gone up a month but is always on the way down in spring. Green up and calving naturally take place now with a surplus that isn’t needed... add closing schools and restaurants and it will bankrupt more than are already on their way out

I heard this week there were only 636 dairies left in TEXAS! there were more than that in Hopkins and Wood co alone in 80’s and 90’s

Comment

Anything crossed with a hump and long ear brings nothing in the Valley, its disappointing to say the least in comparison, thats how I feel after selling 12 calves last weekend, you can limp along with your Angus or Hereford easier. Im fertilizing and watering pasture as fast as I can so hopefully I dont have to sell anymore for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        The dairy market was as bad as its ever been... with schools closed (our biggest market) it will/is going to drop even more. Of course it won’t drop in stores.... just at the source

For reference I sold a Good Bull calf last month (2 weeks old)...$7 BEFORE commission. They are worth more born dead (sad but true). Milk had gone up a month but is always on the way down in spring. Green up and calving naturally take place now with a surplus that isn’t needed... add closing schools and restaurants and it will bankrupt more than are already on their way out

I heard this week there were only 636 dairies left in TEXAS! there were more than that in Hopkins and Wood co alone in 80’s and 90’s
                        $7.......gee-zus!!![emoji33]

Comment

Sold 10 850avg steers... avg $0.77 pound

And a 1400 lbs weigh cow (good shape, just open) $1,100

Comment

Dairy steers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                              Dairy steers ?
                              Yes. Fat Holstein

Comment

Calves

Where do y’all sell at mostly? I read where they don’t have the regular dairy sale at sulphuric springs anymore. We used to come up there and buy some at times

Comment

Working...
                                X