No announcement yet.

double down vs antler max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't feed DD if it were free! Tried it one time with some axis deer and within 2 weeks of starting it, I lost 5 deer that were all healthy deer! Contacted DD and they said they have never had any issues with it however very ironic the only thing changed was the protein and deer started dropping dead.

Comment

About what time of year did that happen? Lots of exotics died off during the deep freeze.

I use both proteins, whatever is available.

Originally posted by Colter View Post
      I wouldn't feed DD if it were free! Tried it one time with some axis deer and within 2 weeks of starting it, I lost 5 deer that were all healthy deer! Contacted DD and they said they have never had any issues with it however very ironic the only thing changed was the protein and deer started dropping dead.

Comment

AntlerMax or anything else besides DD.
        Heck just fillem with corn for rest of year.

Comment

DD is extremely high in starch and hard on deer’s rumen. Our deer tear up Record Rack, and have been super healthy the last 3 years since feeding it. I’ve noticed that their coats have been pretty shiny this year as well. We used to feed Lyssey, but it was just a little too inconvenient for where our place is located. We’ve killed 4 deer in the 225-230 lb range the last 3 years as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Colter View Post
            Heartshot^^^^^^ got it
            above was posted as I typed
            Acidosis
            Read up on deer and Acidosis
            A change to high carbohydrate in diet can kill your deer
            Hard to do if they have natural resources but possible
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-26-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              But only 60% of the time.
              But 60% of the time it works every time.

Comment

I'd go with the protein feed company that has PhD biologists, research pens with deer in a controlled environment.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  I'd go with the protein feed company that has PhD biologists, research pens with deer in a controlled environment.
                  And who would that be? Serious question

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post

Purina - Antler max. They have pens where they’ve tested feed blends

Comment

Anyone ever mixed them

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        Purina - Antler max. They have pens where they’ve tested feed blends
                        Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=jshouse;15897190]i will admit, the peanut aspect of DD leads me to believe that it would attract even more attention than plain protein pellets.

You know how deer won’t come to a feeder because acorns are on the ground ?

Have you ever tasted acorns?

Deer don’t have the same taste as humans and I’ve seen deer that wouldn’t eat peanuts, and some won’t eat apples.

Comment

Antlers plus works great in Mason. No help on the others. At $15 a bag I ain’t feeding them protein very long lol

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                              Red Chain Feeds as well…

Comment

[quote=JWHunt;15901704]
                                Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                i will admit, the peanut aspect of DD leads me to believe that it would attract even more attention than plain protein pellets.

You know how deer won’t come to a feeder because acorns are on the ground ?

Have you ever tasted acorns?

Deer don’t have the same taste as humans and I’ve seen deer that wouldn’t eat peanuts, and some won’t eat apples.

I fed DD and they definitely ate it. I’m just not convinced it’s a better feed.

I like snickers bars. A lot! [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X