2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    Ahhh….a Blue Grass Festival!!! In addition to urine you catch a whiff of the Ganja also?
    No Ganja. ( Had to google that). I only smell that walking through the WalMart parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      No Ganja. ( Had to google that). I only smell that walking through the WalMart parking lot.
      Well… look on the brite-side of things. The source of the urine smell will always remain a mystery, but st least you expanded your vocabulary! Enjoy the rut fellas.

Comment

Very, very slow this morning.

And what about all these terrible MLDP rifle hunters out here during “archery” season? I have yet to hear a shot.
        Last edited by Etxbuckman; 10-23-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

GarGuy and others who hand corn in pens - I have a question for you all as I am trying to learn. I am on a lease in Houston County and it is 2 hours away for me. If I attempt to create a hand corn only feeder pen, how many lbs of corn should I dump in and how often to keep the bucks still hitting it. I will create this next season and was curious when I should start in the year to hand corn, how much per time, and how often. It is a 2 hour drive and I am busy with 3 young kids at home so any advice is greatly appreciated. Lots of hogs so will definitely build a hog panel pen. Thanks a lot everyone!

Comment

Had decent movement this morning from daylight til 10:30. Saw 8 bucks, one doe and one fawn. All young bucks. Everything came to the hand corn.

Comment

Had good movement from 7am-8:30am and then it turned off. No shooters. I still have 5yr olds and 2 yr old bucks eating together side by side out of the trough while does eat corn 15ft away. On our place the bucks aren't mad at each other and seem to show no interest in does yet. New scrapes aren't showing up yet either. I think my bucks have given up sex for sweet feed lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                GarGuy and others who hand corn in pens - I have a question for you all as I am trying to learn. I am on a lease in Houston County and it is 2 hours away for me. If I attempt to create a hand corn only feeder pen, how many lbs of corn should I dump in and how often to keep the bucks still hitting it. I will create this next season and was curious when I should start in the year to hand corn, how much per time, and how often. It is a 2 hour drive and I am busy with 3 young kids at home so any advice is greatly appreciated. Lots of hogs so will definitely build a hog panel pen. Thanks a lot everyone!
                Jershua I’m curious. Why would you opt out on putting a feeder in living 2 hours away?

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  Had good movement from 7am-8:30am and then it turned off. No shooters. I still have 5yr olds and 2 yr old bucks eating together side by side out of the trough while does eat corn 15ft away. On our place the bucks aren't mad at each other and seem to show no interest in does yet. New scrapes aren't showing up yet either. I think my bucks have given up sex for sweet feed lol.
                  I'm seeing the same thing in Nac county. You know it hasn't started when there's not a buck bustin up this doe group at the feed pile and my mature bucks are feeding all night.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I’ve seen 2 different mature bucks locked down with bedded does beside them in the last week. On Thursday morning I saw a 4 yr old 9 run a doe a 1000 yards across a pasture tongue hanging out. It’s not happening everywhere but there are definitely some does popping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                      I’ve seen 2 different mature bucks locked down with bedded does beside them in the last week. On Thursday morning I saw a 4 yr old 9 run a doe a 1000 yards across a pasture tongue hanging out. It’s not happening everywhere but there are definitely some does popping

8 yr old narrow 8 point. Doe is bedded beside him

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Jershua I’m curious. Why would you opt out on putting a feeder in living 2 hours away?
                        I was reading stories on here about mature bucks not liking traditional feeders and hand corn pens worked much better. But I live so far away, wanted to see if it is possible to hand corn in a feeder pen and how often / how much.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                          I was reading stories on here about mature bucks not liking traditional feeders and hand corn pens worked much better. But I live so far away, wanted to see if it is possible to hand corn in a feeder pen and how often / how much.
                          There is a lot of truth to that but I will always stick to my guns saying that all properties are different regarding how deer respond to feeders. On my property consistency is the key as is with any property. I you put a feeder up right before season and start running and gunning they will become very shy of daytime feeding. I feed year round here in East Texas. The mature bucks have been using these feeders as a food source for several years since they were young so they are used to them. The older deer on my place are more willing to come to a gravity feeder as opposed to a slinger but I do use both throughout the year. I don’t use pens. I shoot and trap the hogs and keep the numbers down to a minimum. But what works for me might not work on another property. But I live 15 minutes from my property not 2 hours so I hope you re evaluate the problem that would be for you regarding consistent food source. As you can see these bucks are mature and they are not afraid of the feeders.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            By Halloween

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              By Halloween

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                              I think this next cold front will kick it off....I hope

Comment

What a beautiful East Texas morning!!

I had a VERY old short tined 8 point and a 4 year old 130" 10 point eating together at 12 yards this morning. They ate for about 10 minutes, then the old buck sniffed the air and took off after a doe with the 10 right behind him.

All my cameras are on fire with deer activity at all hours of the day and night.

Comment

Working...
                                X