Bunion surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunion surgery

I’m 50 and needing some foot maintenance. Anyone had bunion surgery? Any advice/warnings will be appreciated.

I’m in on this one. Bunion and hammer toes….my Mom gifted them to me. 53 here.

Comment

I need the same and im 36. Interested on responses.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
        You poor son of a gun.

Comment

Strange I was at a podiatrist for that same thing today. Just had x rays

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
            I’m in on this one. Bunion and hammer toes….my Mom gifted them to me. 53 here.
            I’ve got the hammer toe going on my right foot along with bunions on both, gifts from my Mom too. Glad I’m 6’3” and she didn’t gift me with her 4’11” height too

Comment

I believe @warrington is a podiatrist.
              When I broke my toes @ work he was going to do them but didn't. I was told our workers comp wouldn't approve him...

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                I believe @warrington is a podiatrist.
                When I broke my toes @ work he was going to do them but didn't. I was told our workers comp wouldn't approve him...
                Thanks.

No bunion surgery experience on GS?

Comment

Consult with Dr. Kevin Varner. 6445 Main Street #2500 Houston Tx. 77030.
                  713-441-9000 Methodist Med Center.

Comment

Wife had bunions removed on both feed (34 years old). Doctor did them about 6 weeks apart. There was some problem with her nerves in her feet. Kinda like drilling a tooth with no numbing shot. We had maxed out all her pain meds and it was the worst hell we have ever been though, screaming all night from the pain. She said having a kid was laughable compared to the pain. Granted most people should not have a complication like she did. And I will say that she is glad that they are removed. The best word of advice I can give is whoever does your surgery make sure the surgeon gives you there direct cell phone number. Ours did and it was a total life saver because of the complications we had.

Comment

I correct one or two bunions a week. The success rate is excellent. There are two main procedures that can be performed and it depends on the severity of the bunion. The two different procedures have two different main recovery processes. First procedure is an Austin bunion ectomy. It requires two screws to be placed into the head of the bone after it is shifted over. With this procedure you are placed in a fracture boot after the surgery and can walk immediately. After 4 to 6 weeks you transition into an athletic shoe. It takes 8 to 10 weeks to get back into normal activities. The second procedure is a lapidus bunion ectomy. It takes longer to heal. You are off your foot for 4 to 6 weeks in a boot. You transition into an athletic shoe around a week 8 to 10 and can resume normal activities usually between week 10 and 12. Both surgeries have the stitches usually removed after a week too. The less that you do the first four or five days the better the healing of the soft tissue. I would say that 99% of bunion surgeries after six months, are completely healed and the patients are back to full activities. The scarring will continue to improve for an entire year. If you have any other questions just PM me and I’ll answer them for you. If there’s something that you I want to know and believe others would like to know just drop a line in this thread and I’ll answer it. I highly recommend the surgery. Especially if it is painful. If you are having toWear different shoes to accommodate the bunion or you are having daily pain in the area, you need to have it shakes. There is one other procedure called and arthroplasty where we place an implant in the joint or a second procedure where refuse the joint if you have severe arthritis..

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
                        35 and my left big toe makes a 90 degree turn under the rest of em

haven't gotten the surgery because the Dr said they would also have to break a bone in my foot and screw it into another one to keep it from happening again.

Every left boot I own has a worn patch of leather where it has stretched to make room for this awful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                          I correct one or two bunions a week. The success rate is excellent. There are two main procedures that can be performed and it depends on the severity of the bunion. The two different procedures have two different main recovery processes. First procedure is an Austin bunion ectomy. It requires two screws to be placed into the head of the bone after it is shifted over. With this procedure you are placed in a fracture boot after the surgery and can walk immediately. After 4 to 6 weeks you transition into an athletic shoe. It takes 8 to 10 weeks to get back into normal activities. The second procedure is a lapidus bunion ectomy. It takes longer to heal. You are off your foot for 4 to 6 weeks in a boot. You transition into an athletic shoe around a week 8 to 10 and can resume normal activities usually between week 10 and 12. Both surgeries have the stitches usually removed after a week too. The less that you do the first four or five days the better the healing of the soft tissue. I would say that 99% of bunion surgeries after six months, are completely healed and the patients are back to full activities. The scarring will continue to improve for an entire year. If you have any other questions just PM me and I’ll answer them for you. If there’s something that you I want to know and believe others would like to know just drop a line in this thread and I’ll answer it. I highly recommend the surgery. Especially if it is painful. If you are having toWear different shoes to accommodate the bunion or you are having daily pain in the area, you need to have it shakes. There is one other procedure called and arthroplasty where we place an implant in the joint or a second procedure where refuse the joint if you have severe arthritis..
                          Thank you for the info! I’m really not suffering any pain from them but I can see that both feet are getting worse and will ultimately need to be addressed. Is there benefit to repairing them before they get too bad? I’m pretty active and if doing them sooner means the quicker recovery time that’s what I’d prefer. Thanks again for the info. Where is your practice?

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                            I had the bunion ectomy with the 2 screws. I was having gout attacks there that were ruining the joint. No problem since. I was given crutches and me and crutches don’t get along. I would use a knee scooter or whatever they’re called if I had it to do over. I think I was back to work in 8 weeks? Can’t remember for sure

Comment

Following, as my wife is going to be looking into getting this done pretty soon.
                              Thanks for the info warrington.

Comment

Working...
                              X