No announcement yet.

Durango / Silverton Train and Family Camping Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took my kids to Colorado a few years ago, and rode trains. Royal Gorge train, the cogway going to Pikes Peak, and another one through the gold mine country. That one was in an open train, coal burning. The soot was think in the lungs on that one. The Royal Gorge train ride was open carts.
    Attached Files

Comment

Google Big Molas Lake. It's off US 550 heading towards Silverton. You can go fishing in the lake, but I would recommend fishing Andrews Lake. It's located right before the Big Molas Lake on the right as your coming from Durango towards Silverton.

The official Molas Lake Campground website providing reservations and information about the Molas Lake Campground owned by Town of Silverton, Colorado in the San Juan National Forest

Comment

Taylor Park, near Gunnison.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I will say that the Chama/Antonito train ride is much more spectacular scenery. I have done that and he Silverton/Durango trip and ALWAYS recommend the Chama train ride. I can't help with camping, but yu will thank me on the trai recommendation. The Silverton goes along the valley, and you don't have very long views. The Chama train does both and has some long views, down into the valley.
          I was not aware of the this one so thanks for that information! We will definitely look into it.

I looked at Molas and the other lake and there is still some availability. It is probably a little over half booked so we need to make a plan pretty dern quick. thanks for all of the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
            I was not aware of the this one so thanks for that information! We will definitely look into it.

I looked at Molas and the other lake and there is still some availability. It is probably a little over half booked so we need to make a plan pretty dern quick. thanks for all of the suggestions!
            Ride the train that goes from Durango to Silverton instead. It worth every penny spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              Taylor Park, near Gunnison.
              We have some family building a house in Granby that will be ready next year. I may wait and try that area when it is ready since it is more on that side of the state.

Comment

Just a suggestion.... To experience the high country at your own pace, you might want to forego the Silverton-Durango train and rent a UTV for the day in Silverton. The cost for 2 adults and 2 kids is probably not much different in price. And you can rent a 6-seater if you need it. Ride the Alpine Loop, explore the Animas Ghost Town, go over California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Engineer Pass, and all the great peaks there. And you can stop to play/hike in the mountains and snow if it's still there, eat a picnic lunch, take fishing gear and stop to fish, take photos of lots of wildlife, or whatever. You'll be more up close and personal on the utv. Again, just my suggestion. We love the high country.

Comment

My memory of the train ride was a man got locked in the bathroom. They had to take the door off to let him out. At Mesa Verde, a man had to be taken out on a stretcher after breaking his ankle. If you have bad knees, or have toddlers, you want to pass on the tour that requires you to climb the ten foot ladders or has cliffs with no hand rails or places to sit. I did it three years ago, but probably could not now with my knee arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by wildaggie View Post
                    Just a suggestion.... To experience the high country at your own pace, you might want to forego the Silverton-Durango train and rent a UTV for the day in Silverton. The cost for 2 adults and 2 kids is probably not much different in price. And you can rent a 6-seater if you need it. Ride the Alpine Loop, explore the Animas Ghost Town, go over California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Engineer Pass, and all the great peaks there. And you can stop to play/hike in the mountains and snow if it's still there, eat a picnic lunch, take fishing gear and stop to fish, take photos of lots of wildlife, or whatever. You'll be more up close and personal on the utv. Again, just my suggestion. We love the high country.
                    Now that sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
                      My memory of the train ride was a man got locked in the bathroom. They had to take the door off to let him out. At Mesa Verde, a man had to be taken out on a stretcher after breaking his ankle. If you have bad knees, or have toddlers, you want to pass on the tour that requires you to climb the ten foot ladders or has cliffs with no hand rails or places to sit. I did it three years ago, but probably could not now with my knee arthritis.
                      Good point with the little ones. We may catch that next time.

Comment

This

If you do ride the D-S train ride it up hill only. Try and figure out a way to explore around Silverton and drive back to Durango. You will see al the views on the way up and the down hill ride is rougher.

Comment

Would you by chance have the company name to rent from? Just curious if I need to reserve what we want in advance.

Comment

Bump for more ideas. I have campsites and lodging booked for most of the trip, but a hole on the front end. We will be staying 2 nights at Molas Lake, 1 Night at Vallecito Reservior, and 2 nights on the Conejos around Platoro.

We were planning on staying the night in New Mexico around Taos on either July 3rd and/or the 4th. We will probably be fine with a hotel of some sort for those days.

We booked the train, but passed on the ATV ride although I was for it. The wive's were a little iffy with two kids 3 and under. I was thinking about Mesas National Park, but again kind of hesitant with kids that small.

Comment

With kids that small I'd do a UTV guided tour on the Alpine Loop. South Mineral Creek campground is another to consider. There was a regular bull moose around there when we visited a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                                With kids that small I'd do a UTV guided tour on the Alpine Loop. South Mineral Creek campground is another to consider. There was a regular bull moose around there when we visited a few years ago.
                                I called one of the places and they tried talking me out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X