3.5 eccoboost cam phasor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
    Heck you can't hardly find the v8. I'd say 70% of the available trucks have the 2.7.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I started looking for a 2021 5.0. When I found that this is the first year Ford has gone to dropping out four cylinders when running under light load I dropped that hunt. I would consider a 2020 5.0.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      I started looking for a 2021 5.0. When I found that this is the first year Ford has gone to dropping out four cylinders when running under light load I dropped that hunt. I would consider a 2020 5.0.
      I'm looking at Powerboosts right now. The problem is that it uses the same 3.5 that the Ecoboost uses.

Comment

I bought a 2017 with 37,000 on it and drove the truck for 3 days before the endless trips to the Ford house started because of all the phaser and timing issues. They could never get it corrected and I eventually had the dealership where I bought it refund my money and take the truck back. Have a friend who has had his 2019 in 3 times for the same issues.

Loved the speed and the truck overall but the continual issues with that engine have left me never wanting to buy another Ford again. My wife wants an expedition but considering it uses the same 3.5 I wont consider buying it.

Comment

I traded my 2018 in for 2020 because I was not going to pay for the insane repair cost. I came out very well financially on the deal so I did dodge a bullet.

Comment

I bought a 2012 3.5 new and took it to a 100,000. All it needed was a catalytic converter. I bought my dad's 2013 and it now has 83,000 with just small things needed. I'd buy one again.

Comment

I've got 175,000 miles on my 2012 eco that I bought new. Nothing major other than normal stuff.
              Truck is not babied.

Regarding the "rattle" it showed up at 160,000 miles. If you turn the key halfway, wait 3 or 4 seconds and let the oil pump pressurize the rattle doesn't happen. I was told this by a mechanic and it hasn't rattled since.
              I've also seen on YouTube that adding some Lucas oil additive will stop it as well. The rattle- Is Not a big deal IMO.

Buying another another Eco this year at some point.

Comment

That's interesting...mine just started and doesn't do it every time. I've read it can jump time but now in wondering if it's really a problem it just annoying.

They say it will throw a code or go into limp mode, eventually. I've experienced no such issues.

I just know how pricey this repair is going to be and every time it makes that noise, I just put it off another day. Here I am, 5+ years down the road and it is still doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                  I've got 175,000 miles on my 2012 eco that I bought new. Nothing major other than normal stuff.

Truck is not babied.

Regarding the "rattle" it showed up at 160,000 miles. If you turn the key halfway, wait 3 or 4 seconds and let the oil pump pressurize the rattle doesn't happen. I was told this by a mechanic and it hasn't rattled since.

I've also seen on YouTube that adding some Lucas oil additive will stop it as well. The rattle- Is Not a big deal IMO.

Buying another another Eco this year at some point.
                  You may want to consult that mechanic with a grain of salt.....the oil pump in your engine is mechanical and doesn't provide pressure until the engine is turned over.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
                    My 2019 eco has a recall to reprogram the phasors.
                    I scheduled for ford to do it in a few weeks
                    I called Red McCombs Ford about a recall for 2019 3.5 Ecoboost cam phaser issue. I was told there is no recall for this. I’m confused now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post

I called Red McCombs Ford about a recall for 2019 3.5 Ecoboost cam phaser issue. I was told there is no recall for this. I’m confused now?
                      There's no recall for that.....Maybe he's referring to a TSB, but the only one I could find concerning 2019 vct's was for the 5.0.

Comment

You may want to consult that mechanic with a grain of salt.....the oil pump in your engine is mechanical and doesn't provide pressure until the engine is turned over.

I'm probably wrong on it being the oil pump. I cant remember specifics.
                        The point is, give the engine a few seconds to go through its start up sequence and allow the oil to get where it needs to. On a cold start if I wait no noise, if I turnover immediately it'll grind.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                          I'm probably wrong on it being the oil pump. I cant remember specifics.
                          The point is, give the engine a few seconds to go through its start up sequence and allow the oil to get where it needs to. On a cold start if I wait no noise, if I turnover immediately it'll grind.
                          Interesting. Sounds like the only thing that could do that may be the phaser control solenoids needing time to open up. One may be sticking causing the phaser to rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                            There’s generally an easy way to disable that feature. A custom tune can all be certainly accomplish this.

I know in my 2014 Ram, all I have to do is put the transmission in manual mode and select 8th gear. It still acts like a normal 8 speed auto without me having to manually shift gears.

Look into it. I wouldn’t let that 8/4 feature dissuade me from buying on if there’s an easy workaround.

Comment

Working...
                            X