Axis doe down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis doe down

So I was lucky enough to get a shot on this old girl. After some of the recent threads on here about shot placement and the location and size of the vitals, I decided a shot thru the shoulder was in order. I hit her a little high in the right shoulder and it exited low ( elevated stand ) about an 2 1/2 inches maybe 3 inches in back of the left shoulder as she was slightly quarter to me. She ran about 60 yards and was down for the count. While cleaning her I was taking note to see what I could find out about their vitals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	25165608

1. Their lungs do appear smaller than a WT lung.

2. The vitals are farther forward ( or at least appear so ) than a WT.

3. Even with a hit that should have resulted in center punching both lungs, I did center punch the right lung, just barley caught the back of the left lung and got in to some gut somehow. ( could have just cut the esophagus, but I could smell that god awful gut shot smell. )

4. These things appear to be mostly guts, kind of like a goat.

So for what it is worth, that was my observation.

Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Good eating, congrats.

Comment

Nice! Got my first one last year. Didn’t pay much attention to differences in vitals but I noticed some differences in behaviors. I observed several over the course of a couple of days and they seem, to me at least, to be on a different level of high alert than whitetail, if that’s possible. To me they appeared to be far more wary, as of that “sixth sense” is more prevalent. I noticed that they appeared to know something wasn’t quite right as soon as they entered my line of sight. Of course, I was right on top of them every time. I’d say never any further than 40 yds. & sometimes closer. Very interesting creatures, and quite tasty. Hope to get another one down this year. Congrats!

Comment

They are great table fare.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

nice job!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Good eating there Congrats

Comment