Calling all plumber and all around cool guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all plumber and all around cool guys

I need to replace my leaking main waterline where it enters my house. Copper coming out of house and pvc coming out of ground. I want to take the steps now to make this freeze proof. What should I do?? I would say water pressure is in the high side of normal. I’m an electrician not a plumber.

I was thinking galvanized but it will rust.

Copper but I can’t solder.

Pex but I don’t have the tools and I’m not using shark bite.

Is pvc with insulation the best bet?

Is there a best way to do this so I’m not messing with it every year??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pex. Buy the tool. Best thing I ever did.

Comment

My setup is the same way. It drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
        My setup is the same way. It drives me nuts.

Leaky? Or pvc above ground?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy o View Post
          Pex. Buy the tool. Best thing I ever did.

Issue is that there will still be copper coming out of the house, with a “t “ and spigot

Comment

Not leaking but with the same pvc transition. Yard guys have broke it before.

Comment

It’s been that way how long? I’d fix the leak , insulate it and make it pretty for the girls.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                Issue is that there will still be copper coming out of the house, with a “t “ and spigot

They make a pex to copper fitting that has to be sweated on or use a shark bite there cheap and will go copper to pex

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                  They make a pex to copper fitting that has to be sweated on or use a shark bite there cheap and will go copper to pex

I guess I don’t see the point in pex when there will still be some copper.

Comment

Don’t use galvanized - it’s ok code wise but it’s junk. If you want to go copper then they make pro-press fittings. You basically use a big crimping tool - you can probably rent one at a tool rental place. Pro-press is pricey and I’m not sure if it’s cheaper than pex. I will say, done properly, pro-press is very durable.

As far as freeze protection just use 1.5” of fiberglass insulation with a pvc jacket and that’ll get you through 90% of Texas weather - if you’re electrically inclined and don’t want to deal with the freezing temperatures you might experience every 3-4 years then heat trace the line. Just next a little 120V circuit with a controller. Whoever built that water line that way deserves a knot on their head - pure laziness.
                    Last edited by StrayDog; 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                      I guess I don’t see the point in pex when there will still be some copper.

Same could be said for pvc to copper. Pex is more forgiving then pvc and easier to work with. Pro press ain't cheap by any means and leaves sharp corners that cut like zip ties.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                        Don’t use galvanized - it’s ok code wise but it’s junk. If you want to go copper then they make pro-press fittings. You basically use a big crimping tool - you can probably rent one at a tool rental place. Pro-press is pricey and I’m not sure if it’s cheaper than pex. I will say, done properly, pro-press is very durable.

As far as freeze protection just use 1.5” of fiberglass insulation with a pvc jacket and that’ll get you through 90% of Texas weather - if you’re electrically inclined and don’t want to deal with the freezing temperatures you might experience every 3-4 years then heat trace the line. Just next a little 120V circuit with a controller. Whoever built that water line that way deserves a knot on their head - pure laziness.

Like the fiberglass pipe wrap?

Comment

Build a metal box stuff the insulation in the box like they wrap metal duct work with . Put box around it . Go back with Pex it expands unlike pvc Put a shark bite tee on it if you can’t sweat the adapter on easiest way to go .

Comment

Go with soft copper. You can use compression fittings. Insulate it well. It will expand if it freezes

Comment

That’s quite the rig. I’d go with copper, then insulate it and wrap with duct tape to protect it.

Comment

Working...
                              X