Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
    We hunt in Paint Rock. Need some advise.

We have been feeding Protein now for 8 years, I believe we have seen some benefits. Thinking about feeding cotton seed now also. We have 10 feeding stations on 2000 ac. with one ton protein feeders. Just FYI we also have 10 one ton corn feeders that run all year. I also already have the tote cages at the lease to begin the cotton seed feeding.

Should I just keep feeding protein only or start feeding both this year? And why?

Thanks
    Adding more food options and feeding stations is nearly always a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said Irion co but I’m not sure what area.

Comment

Anyone know a good mobile mechanic in San Angelo or Robert Lee?

Lower ball joint sheered off on an 03 Toyota Tundra out here and it is stuck where it is.

Comment

Anyone heard cottonseed prices yet?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

I bet it ain’t cheap

Comment

This early in the year...

$260/ton at Wall
              $250/ton at Rowena
              $250/ton Mereta
              $300/ton in Eldorado

Sure miss that $168 from a few years ago

Comment

That’s what I figured. Not worth the effort at those prices for me.

Comment

That’s what I figured. Not worth the effort at those prices for me.

I'm thinking the same... Probably be closer to $300 by March. I cranked up my timed protein feeders before I left this weekend. Plus we still are covered up in acorns on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I'm thinking the same... Probably be closer to $300 by March. I cranked up my timed protein feeders before I left this weekend. Plus we still are covered up in acorns on the ground
                    Myself; hoping to keep a few hanging around feed until spring greens come out.

Have my fingers crossed that we catch a few rains with one of them being a run off rain.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Comment

Shot a nice doe and might try to take another this weekend. No shooter buck seen in person or on camera this whole season and not a single Turkey either.

Comment

I called wall yesterday $240/ton
                        Rowena Friday $280/ton

I got a couple of cotton seed pins going for the first time on this ranch, some guys have been there 20 years and they’ve never tried it, be interesting to see how long it takes to get them in it. I also put a bunch of protein out, afraid they may stick to what they’re used to protein.

I mixed some corn and sweet feed in cotton seed.

Is a ton of cotton seed about a 8’ pickup bed full?

Comment

Prob pretty close if no tool box. Just make sure you cover with a tarp or you’ll loose most on the drive back. Also be careful mixing corn in the seed. If it gets rained on it will create more mold if feed is mixed in. Cottonseed itself doesn’t mold easy. Also if you mix feed into the cottonseed coins and Turkey will dig thru and spread it out to get to the feed.
                          The best thing I found was molasses to get them started you can usually get at academy, also just pour corn mixed in with the seed that is around cage.
                          Just what I found in the past when starting deer on CS.

Comment

Do y’all use a specific hay feeder for alfalfa or just throw on the ground in pens? Hunt in Ft McKavett and want to give it a try this year to maybe attract some axis.

Comment

Originally posted by GRIFF View Post
                              Do y’all use a specific hay feeder for alfalfa or just throw on the ground in pens? Hunt in Ft McKavett and want to give it a try this year to maybe attract some axis.
                              I throw in the ground sometime. I also just use a 50 gal feeder barrel with the bottom cut out and a cage of some kind built about 24” below to eat out of. A regular two strand hay bale will slide in the barrell

Comment

We gave up on the small bails as the deer would have them done in a week and went to 3x3x8s, roughly 800-1000lbs.

Originally posted by GRIFF View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X