The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hbuck View Post
    What unit were you hunting in Oregon? Looks like the coast range didnt think bow season was open there last week end. Twd primos has small dome calls. They fit into roof of mouth better. I have taken larry jones calls and cut them down. I carry 5 to 6 different calls on me and use every one of them. When a bull answers the call that is what I use on him till one of us makes a mistake.
    Nope this was rifle. Just stating that you don't have to draw to kill a big bull!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      Did you guide your bud are was it an all DIY hunt?
      I knew where the elk were since I had been scouting. He didn't have time to scout so I guided him to the elk that I had been seeing. No I didn't get paid. I guess you can't call it a DIY as I had did most of the work. He just pulled the trigger. That's what good friends are for.

Comment

Nothing wrong with helping a brother out! Hey, that's why most hunt in pairs right? One to call, one to shoot! Or one to call, and shoot when you are way out of position because you don't have any idea what direction the bull is headed (Toward caller!).

I will say I have the man crush on Lance Armstrong and Cameron Haynes. Have read all their books more than once! I just can't find anyone crazy enough to follow me on my bike the distances and places I go, nor into the woods that I wan't to go. My buddy that invited me this year is slowly warming up to a back country hunt, but not sure if he is going to do it for more than one night! I am definately not into doing that solo as I have tried before (Mountaineering) and wound up back at the trail head at 2:00am in the dark 'cause the spookies got to me! I suppose that if I had my Rino with me and I could see where base camp was in relation to my back country camp, that might change my situation if my buddy say no way?

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
          Nothing wrong with helping a brother out! Hey, that's why most hunt in pairs right? One to call, one to shoot! Or one to call, and shoot when you are way out of position because you don't have any idea what direction the bull is headed (Toward caller!).

I will say I have the man crush on Lance Armstrong and Cameron Haynes. Have read all their books more than once! I just can't find anyone crazy enough to follow me on my bike the distances and places I go, nor into the woods that I wan't to go. My buddy that invited me this year is slowly warming up to a back country hunt, but not sure if he is going to do it for more than one night! I am definately not into doing that solo as I have tried before (Mountaineering) and wound up back at the trail head at 2:00am in the dark 'cause the spookies got to me! I suppose that if I had my Rino with me and I could see where base camp was in relation to my back country camp, that might change my situation if my buddy say no way?
          Yeah Cam Hanes is a Beast. Been lucky enough to have met the guy on many occasions. He shops at the same Archery shop that I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
            Yeah Cam Hanes is a Beast. Been lucky enough to have met the guy on many occasions. He shops at the same Archery shop that I use.
            Is that Wayne's place? Was up there a few summers ago, had a buddy at school in that neck of the woods. Cool country up there.

Comment

I have been camping on the edge of a walk in only area. Every year it gets a little h arder. This year buddy shot a nice mulie about mile and half from camp. It was a heck of a pack. The thing I liked the most was I didnt see anybody else out there. We usally take off from camp in the morning and have kinda a set time when we meet back at camp. We tell each other the area that we will be hunting and that way we cover more dirt. I would love to hunt some privated land cause I do think animals are not pressured as much.

Comment

I'm heading out Dec. 3 for Mora, New Mexico. My father in law surprised my BIL and I with an Elk trip for the three of us. We will be hunting on private land that belongs to a good friend of his. We've been privileged enough to hunt there once before and my FIL took a 6x8. This year my FIL and I were given cow tags and my BIL got the Bull tag. I would love another chance at a bull, but who's gonna complain about free airfare, lodging and a chance at a cow!

With all that said I've been running about three times a week and ran a few 5k races. Now even though we will be elk hunting, this is not a very demanding hunt. I love the THOUGHT of a DIY backcountry elk or mule deer hunt, but I just don't know how hard it would be to make it happen. I've subscribed to DIY magazines but I honestly get confused trying to get all the application dates and info in order, much less the fact of taking off in my truck to somewhere foreign and trying to learn the terrain and kill an animal in a two week time frame. It is something that I would love to do, but I'm afraid I'm to good at making excuses. For you guys that can make it happen, I'm a big fan and love to see the stories and pics, so keep it up. Anyway I'm off to do some running at the park! Come on Dec. 3

Comment

What are some specific questions about the draw system that you have? We will see if we can answer them. I'm sure there are some gurus on here that can help with the process.

Comment

I need better inlaws! Ha Good luck, make sure to live hunt it if you can.

Originally posted by jbird77 View Post
                    I'm heading out Dec. 3 for Mora, New Mexico. My father in law surprised my BIL and I with an Elk trip for the three of us. We will be hunting on private land that belongs to a good friend of his. We've been privileged enough to hunt there once before and my FIL took a 6x8. This year my FIL and I were given cow tags and my BIL got the Bull tag. I would love another chance at a bull, but who's gonna complain about free airfare, lodging and a chance at a cow!

With all that said I've been running about three times a week and ran a few 5k races. Now even though we will be elk hunting, this is not a very demanding hunt. I love the THOUGHT of a DIY backcountry elk or mule deer hunt, but I just don't know how hard it would be to make it happen. I've subscribed to DIY magazines but I honestly get confused trying to get all the application dates and info in order, much less the fact of taking off in my truck to somewhere foreign and trying to learn the terrain and kill an animal in a two week time frame. It is something that I would love to do, but I'm afraid I'm to good at making excuses. For you guys that can make it happen, I'm a big fan and love to see the stories and pics, so keep it up. Anyway I'm off to do some running at the park! Come on Dec. 3

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Is that Wayne's place? Was up there a few summers ago, had a buddy at school in that neck of the woods. Cool country up there.
                      Yes it's Wayne's place.

Comment

Good thread!

Training:As much as I can right now sitting a stand 8 hours+ per day

Gear: My big purchase this off season was a a big mutliday pack. Picked up the KUIU Icon 6000. It will be at my doorstep in 2 days. Got pretty much everything else. I stocked up on Sitka last year off camofire.com. In the marker for a big base camp tent though.

Apps: Yes never too early to think about apps. Will be applying for WY...if not drawn will apply for NM and if not drawn CO OTC. Points in UT, NV and AZ.

For those who have not gone Elk hunting before...a pair of premium, well fitting boots should be tops on your list!

Comment

I have an aversion to diaphram calls, gag constantly and have never learned to use them after years of trying. I like the Abe & Son's bugles, the Power Bugle from E.L.K. Inc. (my favorite) and just about every cow call known to man. I have probably 40 cow calls and will switch calls out almost everyday if not from morning to evening hunt and I always carry about 5 or 6 different cow calls to sound like a few different cows. The Power Bugle has different bands than you can switch fairly easily and sound like small to big mature bulls. They have definitley worked for me and others.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird77 View Post
                            We will be after cows this weekend. My nieces have youth tags.

Comment

not going to give NM another dime after they passed the new bill.
                              This is me too. I have already started looking at my points and thinking where in CO I might want to get drawn. Most likely do another OTC and keep adding points.

Comment

I have good luck putting in for Wyoming. Its a drive and you can get it done in 30 hours or so if you prep for it. Switch drivers, etc.

I flew up there year before last and I am kind of glad I didn't bag anything.( I shipped my bow and alot of my gear before I left.) That meat has to leave with you on the plane, that can be expensive.

I slept in Jackson and drove via BIL or Friend to south of town ( Hoback, Gibbs Creek, etc.) and sometimes on the N.W. side of the Tetons via Idaho near Targhee. And Mosquito Creek.

I love to call those bulls. Mouth reed( its easier than you think.)Cow talker also.

Nothing better than cow/spike meat. We use kiddy sleds to pack out. Never hunt less than 2 people for safety. We could carry sidearms, but we don't. Just pepper spray which is required.

I have seen some massive mulies and hope to hunt them one day. Though one of the BIL's friends told me the best thing to do is hike up with some bread, ketchup and matches and eat it up there, and walk back with a rack and cape~

One of these days I will get my bull.And hopefully my mulie.

Also, Idaho is over the counter with their tags, but they have been having wolf trouble. They suffered this season and last from wolf depredation.

Mi dos centavos.

Comment

Working...
                                X