The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    Completely understand...There was a 10 on camofire yesterday. I forget the price but you can contact them and see if they sold out. Sometimes they just time out and if they still have some they will honor the price. Doesn't usually happen with Sitka stuff but worth a shot.

You probably already know that most online places have discounted their Sitka products 20%.
    Camofire has been having a few Sitka bags, Ascent 10 and 14 as well as a bivy 30).

My wife is able to get Sitka Gear a little cheaper than Camofire at times. I was just curious is anyone had any experience with their packs. As I told my wife last night it's gear buying time, oh great here we go again with a nice big smile

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
      How good are you guys at calling elk?

Do you know what the elk are saying and what you are saying back to them?

When you make a call, does it come or the way you want every time?

Do you have a strategy for calling?

There are some good resources available out there, one of them is Cris Roe and Roe Hunting Resources. His elk module contains hours of video of elk calling, and explanations of different strategies that can help shorten the learning curve.
      Thanks for the info. I downloaded his app last night. Thinking about subscribing to his videos too....very interesting.

The best way a person could know what an elk is saying is to log hundreds or thousands of hours in the field and record and document out the ying yang. It looks like he has done this.

No matter how accomplished a man is at elk hunting or calling he can always learn more. I bet Wayne Carlton learns something new every year.
      Last edited by unclefish; 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Thanks for the info. I downloaded his app last night. Thinking about subscribing to his videos too....very interesting.

The best way a person could know what an elk is saying is to log hundreds or thousands of hours in the field and record and document out the ying yang. It looks like he has done this.

No matter how accomplished a man is at elk hunting or calling he can always learn more. I bet Wayne Carlton learns something new every year.
        Just downloaded app too. says its .99 cents for a limited time. Havent had time to play with it but looks like a very good app

Comment

How good are you guys at calling elk?

Do you know what the elk are saying and what you are saying back to them?

When you make a call, does it come or the way you want every time?

Do you have a strategy for calling?

There are some good resources available out there, one of them is Cris Roe and Roe Hunting Resources. His elk module contains hours of video of elk calling, and explanations of different strategies that can help shorten the learning curve.
          I am horrible at calling, I just like shutting up and moving into elk sounds or elk areas. I will check out their stuff, I still have the Elknuts stuff as well. Even if I don't call, I still need to better understand what they are saying and hopefully thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            I am horrible at calling, I just like shutting up and moving into elk sounds or elk areas. I will check out their stuff, I still have the Elknuts stuff as well. Even if I don't call, I still need to better understand what they are saying and hopefully thinking.
            I'm the same way. I've never been able to teach myself to use any type of animal call. Mostly because I'm to impatient to practice and learn properly. I like to spot and stalk elk or watch them one day and figure out a plan of attack for the next then lay in wait and ambush em.

Comment

I am putting in for Unit 15, and 23 this year in NM. If I don't get drawn with my buddies I will more than likely go to Colorado for an OTC. Do y'all have any advice about these two units?. I greatly appreciate any info I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                I used to be that way as well, but knowledge is king. Once you know what they are saying you will know what to say back.
                Practicing with different style of calls you should be able to find a type of call that will work.
                Last season, on a blind set up, I made 5-6 lost cow calls mixed with a frustrated whine cow call.
                Had a bull bugle back, I gave him one short cow response and shut up. About two minutes later he had cut the distance to half. He bugled an inquiring call and I gave him another short cow mew response.
                Less than two minutes later a six point bull gave me a broad side shot at 18 yards.

Being honest, I squeaked one cow call in the beginning sequence and messed the next one up laughing at myself, but I stuck with it.

My total calling was less than ten cow calls for that bull.
                I've learned from others that being able to call, and knowing when to shut up is very important to elk hunting.

It would be like trying to bowhunt without one arm, it can be done but why handicap yourself?
                Work on your weakness and it will become your strong point.

Comment

I used to be that way as well, but knowledge is king. Once you know what they are saying you will know what to say back.
                  Practicing with different style of calls you should be able to find a type of call that will work.
                  Last season, on a blind set up, I made 5-6 lost cow calls mixed with a frustrated whine cow call.
                  Had a bull bugle back, I gave him one short cow response and shut up. About two minutes later he had cut the distance to half. He bugled an inquiring call and I gave him another short cow mew response.
                  Less than two minutes later a six point bull gave me a broad side shot at 18 yards.

Being honest, I squeaked one cow call in the beginning sequence and messed the next one up laughing at myself, but I stuck with it.

I've learned from others that being able to call, and knowing when to shut up is very important to elk hunting.

It would be like trying to bowhunt without one arm, it can be done but why handicap yourself?
                  Good point.

Comment

Absolutely!!! Nothing wrong with any type of hunting. The better you know the game and the more tools in your box the better your chance at success, that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter28 View Post
                      I am putting in for Unit 15, and 23 this year in NM. If I don't get drawn with my buddies I will more than likely go to Colorado for an OTC. Do y'all have any advice about these two units?. I greatly appreciate any info I can get.
                      i'll be in Colorado to.

Comment

I've hunted 15 a couple times and we have always got bulls down, not me o course, but I've packed a lot of quarters out there. I highly suggest you look at the Silver City area, then north up Hwy 15. Hunt all **** day, there will be a lot of 4 wheeler traffic and jeep traffic everywhere!!! NM loves them some road hunting, I've seen folks with arrows knocked riding around. Freak'n nuts. Stay up late or get up really really early and listen for bugles. Then be ready come daylight. They will usually hole up in the cedar and then come out in the parks right before dark in the evenings. I had a 330-340 bull that still gives me nightmares from up there, and we had a guy camped next to us that missed a give me shot on a beast that he took pictures of and holy heck was he big. Poor guy drank a ton of whiskey that night mumbling to himself the whole time. The Gila is awesome, good luck to you!

Comment

You get 3 choices, I would put in for 16a 2nd season. I think 16a is the best unit in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                            You get 3 choices, I would put in for 16a 2nd season. I think 16a is the best unit in NM.
                            I have heard many folks say the same thing.

Comment

3d is right! If you are elk hunting without calling you are really missing out. Take the time to study and learn the talk and the art of calling. Talking with the elk is what gets me pumped up about elk hunting. As long as I get in to them and get to communicate with them, it's a good hunt.

That being said, most public land in Colorado is over hunted and the elk are over called to. In those areas calling can be tough and detrimental to your success. I try to stay away from those areas by putting in for as many draws in less pressured areas as I can. If you are hunting these areas year after year it is hard to get an idea on what the elk are saying because they aren't saying much. In my experience these elk will come to calls , but they will come in silent. So calling can still work on occasion.

If you want to get into more vocal elk on public land, look for the smaller pockets of public land butting up to private. I have had some crazy experiences in spots like that. The most bugles I have ever heard happened on a small piece of state land with private on 3 sides. I was able to call a bull from over a thousand yards away while I stood on the fence line. When I had him hooked I ran about 60 yards back and got set up. He came up the hill and pressed his chest against the barbed wire and stared. A soft cow call and here he came. As he passed by looking for the cow I shot him at 25 yards quartered away!
                              Without knowing how to make estrus whines it would have never happened.
                              FYI this happened at about 3 pm.
                              Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                                I agree, any of the 16s would be great.

This year I am planning on staying away from the Gila for 2nd and 3rd choices in hopes of actually drawing a tag in a decent area. Just have to figure out which ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X