Colorado Vaction in two weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Copanocruisin View Post
    Independent Whitewater outfitters for rafting the Arkansas in the Salida/Buenavista CO. area. A few years ago we took a family rafting trip with my 2 sons, daughter inlaw, teenage grand daughter and myself. A full day trip. What a blast and a workout. Full day trip. Missed the peak snow melt by about a week late, we went on I think July 17. We put in town and took out before the Royal Gorge. Just awesome !!!!!!!! ........cC
    Rivers were already dropping as of 2 weeks ago. Most of CO has been unseasonably warm and dry.

Originally posted by mark1j View Post
    We did a similar trip 2 years ago. We had planned to take the Durango/Silverton train but that was shut down due to a fire. The Ore House in Durango serves a good steak. We drove up to Ouray and stayed 3 nights there and rented a jeep. Lots of good offroad trails. The Ouray Hot Springs is real nice. We spent our evenings there relaxing and letting the kids swim. North of Ouray there is a road I highly recommend called Last Dollar Rd. that is scenic and no traffic. When I drove it I did not need 4x4 but I can see where you might need it if it is muddy. Don't miss Black Canyon, it is a must see. We also enjoyed the Royal Gorge. If you go to Royal Gorge there is a short road outside of Canon City called Skyline Drive that's worth taking (its one way and comes out in Canon City).
    That's all I can think of right now.
    Hot springs are all closed across CO. Ophir pass is another good 4x4 drive near Ouray. Drops you off in Telluride.

Edit: it drops you onto Ophir Loop (145) that goes to Telluride
    Last edited by Playa; 07-13-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Like has been mentioned super hot and dry here, we just hit stage 2 fire restrictions. So no open flames and definitely no camp fires. Good luck getting campground or state park spots. The train in Durango isn't running and masks are required in town if that bothers you. Bars have been shutdown again. Supposed to hear this week on some possible restrictions again.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

I would recommend swinging by the Royal Gorge and doing the frame ride out of CaƱon City. The bridge over the gorge is an awesome attraction too. Especially if you do the zipline that is 2,200 feet long, and 1,200 feet above the river.

As far as Colorado City,
          Garden of the Gods is a must, the Manitou Incline was closed last week when we were there. If you are much of a hiker, there are TONS of options. Check AllTrails for a complete list of hiking options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be in Taylor Park, camping and riding all the trails and passes for 10 days...

Hope its cooler than here in Texas....lol

Comment

Colorado trip...

We just got back from Colorado last Friday.... Wonderful weather compared to here in TX.
              We went to Durango, Gunnison and Pagosa Springs, we were in an RV but the places we stayed were full. We wanted to try and stay in the national parks but with out being able to make reservations and some of them being closed we didn't want to risk it. There were "a lot" of people every where we went. Have fun on your trip, we love Colorado and there's always plenty to do. We didn't plan anything, just hiked and rode our mountain bikes and relaxed.
              Enjoy the cool weather.....

J.Shoot

Comment

Were here now. Staying at the highest KOA in the World. Been 65-75 in the day the last 3 days. Close to Cripple Creek. Nice place with nice tent camping. Close to the Worlds biggest operating gold mine. Very cool. 45 minutes to an hour from lots of stuff. Drove thru Mueller National Park it beautiful. 11 mile nationalparks in nice and has a big lake to fish in. The camping looks nice too. Pikes peak is high!
                Today we ran into what the locals call "Grauple" a combination of snow,sleet hail. Only about 5 inches of it in a 8-10 mile swath. I cant post pictures. It was really strange.
                Cripple Creek has a mine tour. A small scale train ride too. Donkeys roaming the streets. The drives up and around the gold mine are worth the trip.

Comment

If you're wanting to fish in Gunnison, call Joel Aslanian - (970) 596-3054. I fished with him twice last week and it was great. Tell him Chris Estes sent you.

Fly Fishing Guides, Crested Butte, Gunnison, Almont, Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                    Were here now. Staying at the highest KOA in the World. Been 65-75 in the day the last 3 days. Close to Cripple Creek. Nice place with nice tent camping. Close to the Worlds biggest operating gold mine. Very cool. 45 minutes to an hour from lots of stuff. Drove thru Mueller National Park it beautiful. 11 mile nationalparks in nice and has a big lake to fish in. The camping looks nice too. Pikes peak is high!
                    Today we ran into what the locals call "Grauple" a combination of snow,sleet hail. Only about 5 inches of it in a 8-10 mile swath. I cant post pictures. It was really strange.
                    Cripple Creek has a mine tour. A small scale train ride too. Donkeys roaming the streets. The drives up and around the gold mine are worth the trip.
                    Grauple is very common up this way.
                    Monsoon rains may start up soon so bring a rain jacket and watch for afternoon storms, lightening.

We are open in Wyoming, bars and restaurants with limited seating.
                    Dispersed camping may be all you find but look into the various private campgrounds too.

Comment

We made a few last minute changes but everything worked out. We ended up staying at Hecla Junction the first night. It was an amazing campsite next to the Arkansas River. After that we stayed at 3 different KOAs. Royal Gorge, Cripple Creek and Cotopaxi. We did zip line, white water rafting in Big Horn Canyon on the Arkansas River, Horseback riding on Mt Princeton, saw the Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, and Garden of the Gods. We also fished the Arkansas but it was tuff. We had a blast.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                      X