AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC question

So my wife is always yelling at me the house is hot and this 102 degree temp isn’t helping. Our inlet temp is 73 and bedroom outlet bedrooms are 53,56,54. So ac is fine. We plan to move out of house in a year or two or I’d do a mini split in master. (My plan for future house)

Would a Portable AC unit be worth it for just our master at night so I don’t get yelled at? Thoughts?

Ac is usually 75 days and 72 at night and it reaches and keeps it there. Hotter days of course tax it a bit.

Just remember, those portable units need to be vented to the outside.

Comment

Insulation would be my first question and add radiant barrier.

Comment

My AC unit is old(21) and I am trying to keep her going. My house is never lower than 77. In your case, yeah a portable or window unit in bedroom would work.

Comment

The likely problem is a combination of where the thermostat is located, poor insulation, and direction your exterior bedroom walls face.

Even if your house is maintaining 75 degrees but due to poor insulation, heat is entering quickly the house will feel “hot”. Temperature is a measure of heat intensity but humans feel comfortable based on heat flux (basically the rate at which heat energy is moving into or out of a room.)

If the thermostat is in the center of the house it takes longer for that area to heat up and tell the AC to kick on.

I’d look at the insulation around the bedroom and see if it could be easily improved before I added an AC unit.

This is all somewhat of a guess albeit a common problem.

Comment

Home was built in the 80s and yes thermostat is somewhat in the middle of the home but outside the bedroom doors. I think you thought process makes 100% sense. just basically trying to make her happy until we sell house next year and find our 20 year home hopefully.

Im sure i could toss some extra insulation on top of the old or fluff it a bit and add on top along with a little portable.

Just thinking the $300 would make her happy ASAP until we make it to fall and she yells at me for hunting to much.

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
            The likely problem is a combination of where the thermostat is located, poor insulation, and direction your exterior bedroom walls face.

Even if your house is maintaining 75 degrees but due to poor insulation, heat is entering quickly the house will feel “hot”. Temperature is a measure of heat intensity but humans feel comfortable based on heat flux (basically the rate at which heat energy is moving into or out of a room.)

If the thermostat is in the center of the house it takes longer for that area to heat up and tell the AC to kick on.

I’d look at the insulation around the bedroom and see if it could be easily improved before I added an AC unit.

This is all somewhat of a guess albeit a common problem.

Comment

Yea got get a unit.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                Home was built in the 80s and yes thermostat is somewhat in the middle of the home but outside the bedroom doors. I think you thought process makes 100% sense. just basically trying to make her happy until we sell house next year and find our 20 year home hopefully.

Im sure i could toss some extra insulation on top of the old or fluff it a bit and add on top along with a little portable.

Just thinking the $300 would make her happy ASAP until we make it to fall and she yells at me for hunting to much.
                $300.00 is cheap to keep the Dean of Admission happy!

Rwc

Comment

My daughter rented her first "on her own" apt in Chicago and we moved her up the end of June. We get there and she flips on the AC, hour or so later it's not any cooler. She calls the landlord and yep, she rented a place without AC. Central heat but no central air. Made a quick run to Sams and picket up a 14k BTU (I think) portable unit. If I remember right it was $375ish. We vented it out her bedroom window and it cools her 1100 sqft apt without any trouble. Granted, your master may be larger but her building was built in early 1900s and I'm not sure insulation was even invented yet! LOL

Comment

Mini-split will be expensive, but much quieter than other options.
                    Portable unit needs to be vented outside and it is not quiet.
                    A window unit might be the short term/cheaper answer.
                    Window unit might be more convenient than portable (emptying water due to moisture/humidity in room).
                    If/when you move out...take it with you and use it in your shop.

Comment

It’s definitely when. We are starting to look at houses we like to pick stuff we want. We will definitely be doing a mini split in master if new house doesn’t have a type system like it. Thinking window unit is best option to help keep her happy.

Rather put the thousands into the forever home then our starter.

Originally posted by jessBsemple View Post
                      Mini-split will be expensive, but much quieter than other options.
                      Portable unit needs to be vented outside and it is not quiet.
                      A window unit might be the short term/cheaper answer.
                      Window unit might be more convenient than portable (emptying water due to moisture/humidity in room).
                      If/when you move out...take it with you and use it in your shop.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post

Happy wife = happy(er) life.

Also consider some weather stripping and/or reflective insulation they make to put in your windows - especially west and south facing windows. Not real pretty but it will help a bit. Then when you build your new house spend money on the best windows and insulation you can afford. Heck, I’d rather have a temperature comfortable house than fancy floors, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.

Comment

It isn't rocker surgery to put in a mini-split or just a single room unit. If my house ain't 65 at night I'm not sleeping there so I feel her pain. Most of them come fully charged and all yo have to do is mount and make the connections. Just did 2 of them last month in our control board assembly room. We bought the Mitsubishi units.

Comment

What is the humidity inside the house?
                            How often does it cycle off when it is 102° outside.

You are getting a 20° split, which we like to see, and you are complaining about a hot house. The questions i asked above will help us to see what is wrong.
                            Example (not saying this is your problem): an oversized system will cool the house down to acceptable temperatures, but may not run long enough to remove enough moisture, causing high humidity. You can have a 70° house, but if your humidity is 60%, you will not be comfortable.

I would not expect a properly sized a/c system to cycle much with the outside temp at 102°. That's why i asked about cycling. Especially while maintaining 73° inside.

Oversized a/c's are not that common, but these are the symptoms, cool with high humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              My AC unit is old(21) and I am trying to keep her going. My house is never lower than 77. In your case, yeah a portable or window unit in bedroom would work.

77!!!!!! I wouldn’t be able to sleep a wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X