Need a good ceviche recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good ceviche recipe

Looking to make some this weekend. It’s hot outside and I like cold food when it’s like that. This should do the trick. Thanks in advance.

Not being a wise guy but there was a thread a couple weeks ago that had a bunch of good ones. I did some with shrimp and HEB pico. I put in some hot sauce and diced pineapples. And lime juice of course. It was pretty darn good.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      Not being a wise guy but there was a thread a couple weeks ago that had a bunch of good ones. I did some with shrimp and HEB pico. I put in some hot sauce and diced pineapples. And lime juice of course. It was pretty darn good.
      yep, I picked one from that thread and it was awsome

Comment

2 cups diced fish of your choice, soaked in fresh squeezed lime juice overnight

1 Cup finely chopped or diced onions
        1 cup finely chopped or diced sweet yellow onion for milder, red or purple for more zing
        1 cup finely chopped or diced celery include some of the leaves chopped up from the top
        1 Cup finely chopped or diced sweet bell pepper.
        1/2 cup finely chopped or diced seedless fresh jalapeno pepper, more or less to taste
        When I make it for the entire family I leave out the jalapeno

After the fish is ready mix the above ingredients.
        Season to taste with a seasoned salt, Tex-Joy, Lowrey's, Tony's etc.
        I prefer Lantana all purpose seasoning.

Add your choice of pepper sauce to taste, 1 prefer a few liberal shakes of Tabasco sause, Some folks add a few spoonfuls of their favorite salsa.

I have done the above with the addition of 1 cup of diced avocado and I prefer it without the avocado, your choice.

Mix it all up, chill and serve with tortilla chips.

I doesn't hurt to throw in a few boiled chilled peeled shrimp
        Last edited by texasair; 07-13-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

How can you have ceviche and not have cilantro?

Onion (White and purple), green onion, cilantro, tomato, jalapeño (or your favorite pepper), avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice.
          Last edited by Greenheadless; 07-13-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            How can you have ceviche and not have cilantro?

Onion (White and purple), green onion, cilantro, tomato, jalapeño (or your favorite pepper), avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice.
            I second the cilantro

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Certainly can add some chopped cilantro, I think traditional ceviche usually has cilantro. My family are just not big cilantro lovers.

The great thing about Ceviche is that you can make it to suit your palate.

I have had some buddies that have added to their ceviche capers, black and green olive, cucumbers, cheese, crab meat, pickled okra etc
              It is all good
              Last edited by texasair; 07-13-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Just got back from Playa Del Carmen and we did a fishing charter one day. Towards the end we caught a small Mahi Mahi and the deck hands cut it up right there and made some fresh ceviche. It was incredible!! Nothing like eating something 30 minutes after you kill it.

Comment

Texasair.. why overnight in the lime juice?

I've always made it on the boat, fresh b-liner are the best.
                  But I only let the diced meat soak for about a hour and it comes out great. Am I missing out on something

Comment

Can you make this with crappie? What kind of fish do you use?

Comment

If i am making it for myself or buddies an hour or two is fine especially if it is fresh caught by me. The family is more comfortable with more time in the lime.

I have several people tell me that it is a health risk to use fresh water fish, but I really don't know. Here in Texas my go to fish for ceviche is red snapper that I catch.
                      I have made ceviche from cold water small mouth bass caught on Lake Powell in Utah and it was fine.

When I used to aviate the family down to the Caymans, we would go out on snorkel boats and the mate would make conch (giant salt water snail) ceviche. The only thing he put in it was lime onions and pickapeppa sauce and I thought it was real good with only an hour soak in the lime. The family was not thrilled with the pickapepper sauce flavor

i am no expert, just relaying what my family likes and what works for us
                      Last edited by texasair; 07-13-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Limes
                        Heb pico I usually get a couple mild or hot and one mango
                        Cilantro
                        Season to taste
                        Really easy and good
                        Last edited by DKirk; 07-14-2020, 05:05 AM.

Comment

4 Roma tomatoes
                          4 lemons
                          4 limes
                          1 Orange
                          1 red onion
                          2 fresh jalapenos
                          Avocado
                          1 Orange pepper
                          Salt n pepper

I don't like cilantro but if u do go right ahead.

Made this on sunday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. I didnt even think to do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                              Can you make this with crappie? What kind of fish do you use?

Yes you can

Comment

Working...
                              X