Fuel shut off for Yamaha Rhino and fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel shut off for Yamaha Rhino and fuel pump question

So we have a fish camp gets used pretty regularly, but hunting season it can go 6-8 weeks or more without anyone visiting. The 4 wheelers have a fuel shut off valve so we turn the fuel off and run them out of fuel, same for generator. I just picked up a nice used Yamaha Rhino (carbureted) and would like to do the same. They don't come with a fuel shut off so I was just going to put one inline and then I realize it's got a fuel pump on it and not gravity-fed like the 4 wheelers are. If I place this fuel cut-off in front of the fuel pump am I setting myself up for fuel pump failure? I might be able to place it further down in front of the carb but it wouldn't be easily accessible to flip the switch on it.

You're fine to shut off after pump. Should have a fuel return bypass into return lone. And be done.

Comment

Have a similar setup on my Arctic Cat and put the shut off between the tank and pump. I don't think putting it after the pump would hurt anything but you wouldn't get all the fuel out of the pump either. In that case, I would think simply draining the float bowl would accomplish the same thing.

Comment

Oh yeah looking at the schematic it does have a bypass return to the tank, so going after the pump shouldn't bother anything. Dammit that's gonna cost me more work. lol... Pintail, yeah the float bowl is the main thing I'm worried about gumming up, HATE cleaning carburetors. I need to dig in and find the darn thing, might be easier just to do that depending on where it's at.

Comment

Put the marine stabil in every tank of fuel and you won’t need to drain them. I’ve done it for years on everything and haven’t had an issue. Mowers have set up for over a year, they fire right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some people add an electric fuel pump also. When these sit for just a few weeks they are hard to get started because it takes that little vacuum operated pump forever to get fuel to the carb.

Comment

I was reading about an electric pump, and also a fuel primer bulb for outboard engines. Hmmmmmm

Comment

How much fuel are yall using? May be worth it to switch over to ethanol free and not have to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I was reading about an electric pump, and also a fuel primer bulb for outboard engines. Hmmmmmm
                  The primer bulb is what i did on mine.. sure makes it start quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    More info please

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                      Did you also do a fuel shutoff, or did it just naturally have a delay starting?

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                        How much fuel are yall using? May be worth it to switch over to ethanol free and not have to do anything.
                        When it gets driven it'll be used pretty regularly for a few days. I'd say probably a tank or so but then I don't know yet how much fuel this thing will use. We're pretty good about going down twice a month but we've been absent up to 3 months in the past. If we don't shut off the fuel in the 4 wheelers and run them out they start running rough and need choke to start and run even when using them every 2-3 weeks but never a problem otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                        X