No announcement yet.

Help-broke down offshore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza my hind-end! That crew is eating steak!lol That gives me the heebie-geebies thinking about being stuck out there all nite!
    Good to hear all are ok!

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
      I was Active Duty with the CG for 4 years. I was assigned to 2 different small boat stations, one in Northern California and the other in South Padre Island. Small boat stations will tow a boat back to the closest harbor, but if a tow service services an area which you are at, they get first dibs on going to get you, legally. The government cannot "take work away from businesses"... or will try not to. If there is no "emergency" ie… boat sinking or on fire, persons without medicine that require it, imminent danger of hurting someone or something, etc.... they'll try and let you figure it out, with keeping tabs on you. Usually a communication schedule will be set up for you to check in every so often to make sure matters haven't gotten worse. If no one comes and a business refuses to assist, they'll come get you. It's part of their training to tow boats. When I was in California, that's 98% of what we did.

Love on your CG boys... they'll be there when you need them.... rough out or not.

I would suggest anyone going so far out, or any distance, to look into getting an EPIRB. If communication is not available and you have no other option, you set this sucker off and you can bet there will be an airplane, helicopter or boat coming to your GPS location QUICK!!! I won't leave the dock without one.

Glad to hear everyone was ok and made it home to their families.

-J.C.
      Thanks for your service, I bet CG was an awesome experience. Very thankful for those guys yesterday, they were great.

Comment

Currently looking at offshore boats for Florida retirement and won't look for anything with 1 motor. Likely repower with new twins, this just settled it for me. Glad all worked out well. That's a beating that tow companies wouldn't do it, wonder if they would have if as stated earlier Progressive or another company was paying vs. their "subscription service"......

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          Good radio is critical. I suggest a good quality one with a long antenna and a battery powered backup
          Any that youd reccomend?

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            Currently looking at offshore boats for Florida retirement and won't look for anything with 1 motor. Likely repower with new twins, this just settled it for me. Glad all worked out well. That's a beating that tow companies wouldn't do it, wonder if they would have if as stated earlier Progressive or another company was paying vs. their "subscription service"......
            Twins are good, many boats have them. Just keep in mind you'll always have double the maintenance, worse fuel economy, twice the chance of a breakdown, not to mention the initial cost of two smaller motors is more than the cost of one bigger one. The big pond is definitely challenging but, remember, the CG has your back. BTW, wait until you get to Florida before you buy a boat. There are lots of new widows unloading boats their recently retired husband bought with 401k money, used it rarely and then keeled over. At one time I was seriously considering buying a 40-50 footer in Florida and running it back to Texas via the intercoastal or even loading up on diesel in 55 gal drums and motor across the Gulf. Not in my plans anymore but Florida is the used boat capital.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
              Any that youd reccomend?
              I've had good luck with Standard Horizon. I don't remember the model number of the fixed mount in my boat, it ties into the gps and I think it was around $300. Have an 8ft Shakespeare antenna, it was less than $100, when we broke down last summer about 25mi offshore, my conversation with the CG was crystal clear. I have a couple of the battery powered radios, one is a uniden and the other standard horizon, both float. The standard horizon seems to pick up signal better than the uniden. I believe it was about $200.

Comment

I have 2 Icom with 8ft whips, which are Shakespeare and also have the Icom vhf/GPS hand held model.

Never had a issue with any of them. Always work

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
                  I was Active Duty with the CG for 4 years. I was assigned to 2 different small boat stations, one in Northern California and the other in South Padre Island. Small boat stations will tow a boat back to the closest harbor, but if a tow service services an area which you are at, they get first dibs on going to get you, legally. The government cannot "take work away from businesses"... or will try not to. If there is no "emergency" ie… boat sinking or on fire, persons without medicine that require it, imminent danger of hurting someone or something, etc.... they'll try and let you figure it out, with keeping tabs on you. Usually a communication schedule will be set up for you to check in every so often to make sure matters haven't gotten worse. If no one comes and a business refuses to assist, they'll come get you. It's part of their training to tow boats. When I was in California, that's 98% of what we did.

Love on your CG boys... they'll be there when you need them.... rough out or not.

I would suggest anyone going so far out, or any distance, to look into getting an EPIRB. If communication is not available and you have no other option, you set this sucker off and you can bet there will be an airplane, helicopter or boat coming to your GPS location QUICK!!! I won't leave the dock without one.

Glad to hear everyone was ok and made it home to their families.

-J.C.

Yessir, I got an EPIRB before ever going offshore. I started a thread on here long time ago and that was mentioned and I took the advice and bought one.

Comment

Most larger boats are single engine- diesel. I have been offshore hundreds of times with single engine. I do have a radio, a handheld in my ditch bag, a EPIRD in the storage bin and a EPIRD in my ditch bag. If I get a CC with a head large enough for a life raft in the future I will also get that.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                      I have 2 Icom with 8ft whips, which are Shakespeare and also have the Icom vhf/GPS hand held model.

Never had a issue with any of them. Always work
                      I have never heard anything but good stuff about Icom equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        I did it for decades, in the beginning without a compass. For those who wonder why, we used the sun's position for direction upon return and look for the Surfside bridge to make adjustments, always had a radio. Man, those were the days. Going offshore in a week outta PA. Gotta love it, life is too short to be scared.

SH
                        Back in the day, you could look for the brown cloud over Dow to guide you back to the Freeport jettys.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          I did it for decades, in the beginning without a compass. For those who wonder why, we used the sun's position for direction upon return and look for the Surfside bridge to make adjustments, always had a radio. Man, those were the days. Going offshore in a week outta PA. Gotta love it, life is too short to be scared.

SH
                          Probably 20 years ago, we were out in the Buccaneer fields (~35 miles out of Galveston) on our 21' deep V at the time. A boat approached and came over to us. The guy said their GPS died and he needed a compass bearing for the Galveston jetties. It's amazing how few incidents there really are with people venturing offshore. Some would probably call us crazy today for being out there in a 21' boat. We had a radio and a buddy boat was out in the same area. The thing is, 20-25 years ago, a 26' deep V with twins was considered a large boat. All I know is once you loose sight of land, even a 30+ foot boat with trips feels small.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                            Probably 20 years ago, we were out in the Buccaneer fields (~35 miles out of Galveston) on our 21' deep V at the time. A boat approached and came over to us. The guy said their GPS died and he needed a compass bearing for the Galveston jetties. It's amazing how few incidents there really are with people venturing offshore. Some would probably call us crazy today for being out there in a 21' boat. We had a radio and a buddy boat was out in the same area. The thing is, 20-25 years ago, a 26' deep V with twins was considered a large boat. All I know is once you loose sight of land, even a 30+ foot boat with trips feels small.

Right!
                            We did it all the time in an 18’-20’ deepV
                            With only a compass and radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                              My loran C died on me about 40 miles East of port Mansfield
                              Man those jetties were hard to find with no bridge or hotel, ect to get a bearing on
                              Finally saw a surfer driving down the beach and asked which side of the jetty we on
                              23 foot Boston whaler
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-14-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
                                Right!
                                We did it all the time in an 18’-20’ deepV
                                With only a compass and radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Same, with a compass and a rig map you couldn't hardly get lost there were so many rigs out there back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X