Car problem diagnosis help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car problem diagnosis help

I bought a 2004 civic a few months back, drive it 70 miles a day to work and back, no problems for 15,000 miles. Now check engine light is on for bank 1 sensor 1. Replaced O2 sensor and light is still on, so I replaced the ELD as well, light still on. When I reset the codes light goes off car runs like crap, light comes on and runs better- but has no acceleration.

We moved to southern Kansas and it's about an hour into town, so I'm hoping this is something I can take care of here at the house.
    Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Might not be the O2 sensor, but instead could be a short in the wiring harness it plugs into or a bad connector. Sounds like an electrical issue of some sort. Did you read the code yourself or did you take it to an auto parts place?

Comment

Both, my dad came over with is OBD scanner and took it to O'Reilly's when we went to town. I don't recall the specific code though.

Comment

You need to know the code or codes it spit out. Most likely either a lean code or rich code, or O2 heater code, open circuit code. It sounds like it has something way out of whack, then the computer goes into a limp mode and it runs better or it is maxing out the fuel trim one direction or the other.

Vast majority of the time you get O2 codes, it does not mean you need to replace the O2 sensor, but at times it does. Usually something causing the engine to go either rich or lean. If you have O2 heater code or codes, you could have a blown fuse, but you could have broken wires.

Really not much that can be done, without either seeing the car in person or knowing what all codes it has.

Comment

P0134 is the code

Comment

Fuses are good, broken wire seems to be the next likely

Comment

The ol PO134. Since you’re in Katy I would recommend taking it to Steve’s automotive and let Freddy track down the issue. Bout the most honest and capable mechanic I’ve ever come across.

Comment

Check for a clogged cat

Comment

Air Flow Sensor. I think it is similar to MAF or MAP sensor. Also, if it has a K&N air filter, get rid of it and go back stock.

Comment

Are you getting the same code as before you changed the O2 sensor?

Comment

Working...
                    X