No announcement yet.

Smoke alarms randomly going off in house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check age of detectors, back up battery, and give it a shot of clean air. Our smoke detectors were well beyond 10 years and slowly went one by one. Great during the day, but not at night with the kids!

Comment

Letting you know your backup battery is bad... change them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I go on detector calls ALL the time. Most of the time it’s 2am.
        So, check the manufacturer date. Most have a life span of 10 years
        Next vacuum or blow compressed air onto the sensor.
        Replace the batteries.
        If over or around 10 years old replace all of them
        And most of the time there will be one fairly close to the return air intake which means dust is constantly passing by the unit.....it will go bad before all the others.
        This.....

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
          This. ^^

Also you should check you smoke detectors once a month by pushing the button and changing the batteries twice a year. (when you change your clocks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ....And this

Comment

I had to replace all of ours at about 12 years.

Comment

Mine are all wired together and have backup batteries in all of them. If one gets week, they all freak out and randomly beep.

Comment

Had the same problem, tried new batteries etc.. ended up having to replace them all because of age and they were only about 10 or 12 years old. Sure is aggravating!!

Comment

Good thread. The last house we lived in had the hard-wired detectors with the 9V back-up battery. It seemed like a never ending battle and of course, when one of those darn things went off, it would be at 2:00 a.m. in the morning. Within 6 months of moving in, I went through and replaced all back-up batteries. Perhaps as another poster stated, some of the new batteries were not good. Seems like I replaced all batteries 2X per year over the next few years just to keep any detectors from chirping. This house was new construction, so the detectors were not out of date either.

Then we moved to another house that we completely gutted out and remodeled. I swore off those hardwired detectors after prior experience; although, we needed to have at least one hardwired to pass current code. Regardless, I bought a handful of the sealed, wireless detectors that have an approximate 10 year life. After 1.5 years, I've already had to replace one of them.

Based on responses in this thread, at least I'm not the only one that's had some bad luck with smoke detectors.

Comment

Great info guys. Thanks!

Sounds like I need to change the main backup battery out as well as get on to my wife for not properly dusting the sensors.

These alarms beep if a 9volt is low so I don’t think it’s that.

The house is 9 years old. I didn’t realize they only had a 10 year life. I’ll check that as well.

I don’t think carbon monoxide is an issue as it’s all electric. We don’t have natural gas to the house.

Comment

Yea they only fail at my House between 2 and 4 AM. Good Luck Sir. Replace the backup battery and just put new 9 volts in all the detectors.

Comment

There should be a 9v battery in each one, change them all.

Comment

I believe the standard home photo-electric detectors have a 10-12 year life span. I vacuum them often but once they malfunction they get changed. Stay with the same brand and the 120vac plug will fit the new ones. Carbon monoxide detectors may last 4-5 years only.

Comment

Sounds like quarantine is taking its toll

Comment

Was helping a older lady at church with a door issue in her house and noticed the alarm panel was chirping. She is really hard of hearing and couldn't hear it. I checked the smoke detectors, and one had 2 CR123 batts that had been in 10 months. The other used 3 AAA batts and I had never seen that before. Then when I looked closely at the AAAs, they were in backwards. Replaced the CR123s and the AAAs and problem went away. Made a note in my phone to replace the batts in 6 months.

Comment

Just another heads up, a couple of years ago when I changed out our original smoke detectors that were about 15 years old I found that I could get the same brand/size with a 10 year lithium battery in it. Now I do not have to worry about changing the 9 volts once or twice each year and that actually offsets the increased cost of the lithium model over the expected 10 year life. 9 volt batteries are not cheap...

Prevents the 2AM chirp too.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X