No announcement yet.

East Texas Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10’ piece of 16” ( I think). Has bungs welded in to fill with water if needed. Not needed for smashing grass
    Attached Files

Comment

Sprayed plots on Wednesday. Planning on planting next Sunday.

I am dragging the family out in the morning to cut down some more cedars... see if I can’t finish up the last patch of the 7 acre burn unit I’ve been cutting cedars down in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just checked dairy plots, they are ready to go! Was gonna plant tomorrow but got to go and see if I have metal in my eye...
        Plus chance of heavy rain Wednesday. Last year it floated all my seeds out of rows, so I’ll shoot for Thursday or Friday.

Dig through last springs thatch that was still there. Lots of earth worms! And soil temp in 15 degrees cooler guaranteed
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Low Fence; 04-20-2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Got drill hooked up. Hope to go get seed by noon

Comment

I just got on my first deer lease in polk county. Do you have a pH test kit you recommend? I'll stop at the local feed store and talk to them but is there anything I can start planting this late (before fall).

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            General rule of thumb, don't figure out what you want to plant before getting the soil test.

Wait till you have your soil test to see what your soil can accommodate. If the pH is not balanced some plants will not be palatable for deer even if they grow.

If you can post your soil tests once you get them, we can make better planting suggestions.

Comment

East Texas Food Plot

I realized I never updated here...

Planted the last weekend of April and then promptly had zero rain for 12-14 days.
              Then, got absolutely swamped with rain for a week or two, and now turned out dry.

The dove plot looks good, but a little heavily seeded...

The main plot is thin as all get-out... looks like it may have germinated right after planting and then died off in the dry weather. Very bummed.

The Alyce Clover and Vetch plot looks good except for som cocklebur popping up. I will have to figure out a way to get rid of those.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                I just got on my first deer lease in polk county. Do you have a pH test kit you recommend? I'll stop at the local feed store and talk to them but is there anything I can start planting this late (before fall).
                Pick up a soil test from your county extension office.

Comment

[QUOTE=IkemanTX;14685060]I ordered my seeds for a new 2 acre plot of my own this year. I’m sure my father will do something similar to the mix I posted above, but I’m going high diversity and aiming for some major soil improvement at the same time. I have next to no deer on the place my plots will be on, so I don’t expect much as far as activity for a few years.

The brassicas, flax, and safflower are for the soil. Compaction breaking, nutrient cycling, and organic matter accumulation are the goals for those species.

The sunn hemp, peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and okra are for the deer to consume.

Where did you order your seed mix from? I'm planning on first small food plot on a small 40 acre property I just got permission to hunt. I really like that breakdown spreadsheet.

Comment

[quote=TB B4;15033882]
                    Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    I ordered my seeds for a new 2 acre plot of my own this year. I’m sure my father will do something similar to the mix I posted above, but I’m going high diversity and aiming for some major soil improvement at the same time. I have next to no deer on the place my plots will be on, so I don’t expect much as far as activity for a few years.

The brassicas, flax, and safflower are for the soil. Compaction breaking, nutrient cycling, and organic matter accumulation are the goals for those species.

The sunn hemp, peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and okra are for the deer to consume.

Where did you order your seed mix from? I'm planning on first small food plot on a small 40 acre property I just got permission to hunt. I really like that breakdown spreadsheet.

Greencoverseed.com has what they call a “smart mix calculator” that I used for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X