Clear All

Scag owners?

61” Turf Tiger or Cheetah II and why?

TT has Vanguard big block 38 EFI

Cheetah II has Kawi 37 EFI

Kawasaki for sure.

Comment

Scag

I have the 61” Turf Tiger with the Kawasaki and was old by dealer when I bought it “you don’t need the Cheetah because you can’t cut grass going that fast”

Comment

I have the 61 turf tiger, beat mower period. Cheetah just goes faster, you can’t cut grass at 20mph.

Comment

Speed is not part of my comparison.

Turf Tiger has single gas tank, driveshaft to deck and bigger hatch for deck access but is $1800 more than the Cheetah

Comment

I rented my neighbors Cheetah when my Hustler was in the shop and that was an expensive mistake! Now I'm waiting on a Scag! That Cheetah would pop a wheelie and cut knee high wet Bahai like butter! It was the 52", that said he told me to get the Tiger Cat 2 in 52" cause you can't mow grass as fast *** the Cheetah goes and everything on it is hard to get to when you service it. The Tiger Cat 2 has a deal with a 26hp Kawasaki for $8950 in 52". Hopefully have it before grass quits growing this year!

Comment

Vanguard has a very good reputation these days and the shine has worn off the kawasaki. (Based on tons of reading on lawncare forums) Either would be a good choice. I would go for the TT if you are going for long term. Only downside is weight and cost.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dads been landscaping for 35 years. He has been running scags the majority of the time. That being said hes been running turf tigers the last 10 years and has no complaints. He told me for his use he'd always prefer a shaft driven mower

Comment

I've got 2 Scag Cheetahs, 61" with the Briggs Vanguard motors. They've been BULLETPROOF and both have a ton of commercial hours on them. I'd put those Vanguards up against any Kawi any day. My stump grinder (has 3 machines) switched his Kawi's over to The Vanguards 2 years ago and loves them.

The Cbeetahs were smoother to me than the Turf Tigers. No, you can't mow at high speed but it's nice to know it's there if you need to get between jobs without trailering the mower

Comment

I would prefer the driveshaft over the belt driven. I had a TT and now have a Tiger CatII. TT is a little better and I can tell the difference between the belt and driveshaft in heavy grass.

Comment

Anybody have any experience with the Scag Patriot? I have a 54” Kubota Kommander that’s been in and out of the dealership for repairs almost since day one. I bought it in 2016 and the price has gone from $4800 (Z125) up to $6800 for the replacement.

I’m not interested in buying another Kubota, period.

I’m mowing 3 acres of pretty smooth San Augustine turf so the job isn’t too hard. I’m not too keen on spending $8000+ on another zero turn, but I can do it. I absolutely will not spend $11,000 to $17,000 on a mower for non-commercial use.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                        Anybody have any experience with the Scag Patriot? I have a 54” Kubota Kommander that’s been in and out of the dealership for repairs almost since day one. I bought it in 2016 and the price has gone from $4800 (Z125) up to $6800 for the replacement.

I’m not interested in buying another Kubota, period.

I’m mowing 3 acres of pretty smooth San Augustine turf so the job isn’t too hard. I’m not too keen on spending $8000+ on another zero turn, but I can do it. I absolutely will not spend $11,000 to $17,000 on a mower for non-commercial use.
                        I looked at the Patriot and it really isn't comparable, or even close to a TigerCat. That additional $3500 to upgrade is in the pumps, deck, suspension seat, commercial motor series, and spindles. worth every dollar of the extra money. imo

Comment

Look at the Spartan z-turn. Built like a tank, has the twin parker pump drive set up, and cost just under 6K. It comes with the Kawasaki motor.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I looked at the Patriot and it really isn't comparable, or even close to a TigerCat. That additional $3500 to upgrade is in the pumps, deck, suspension seat, commercial motor series, and spindles. worth every dollar of the extra money. imo

Agreed

Comment

Turf tiger for sure.

The cheetah high gear is completely useless. The front tires get "death wobble". Ours is a first gen, they might have fixed it in the II?

Comment

Working...
                              X