Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Bumper Help

Hey guys,

So I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado without a towing package. I need to haul a light load and need to bumper pull for now. I punched the plastic center out and bought a 2” ball and the shaft isn’t long enough to go thru the bumper. I tried searching online forums to see what size shaft for my bumper is and looked in the owners manual without luck. I don’t know what size shaft I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get a tape measure in there? If so, just add 1 1/2 to 2 inches for the lock washer and nut.

Be careful towing to much from the bumper...

Comment

Look for a 2 x 3/4 x 3 3/8 at TSC

Comment

I don’t know what size shaft I need.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
        Sorry, I tried not to

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to TSC if you want to use your bumper to tow with. They should have what you need. Or a trailer supply store. The threaded shafts come in different lengths and diameters. Make sure the diameter is close as possible. It'll help keep the tow-ball shaft tight. And you'll prob need a monkey wrench and a 12" crescent wrench to tighten it up.

I've used this place plenty of times for receiver hitches on various vehicles. They've always had about the best prices in DFW that I've found. Most prices includes install while you wait. Callem and check the price. Then make an appointment.

Discount Hitch and Truck Accessories with several store locations in Texas. Shop for your towing needs online! We offer trailer hitches, truck accessories, towing components, utility trailer repair, welding, fabrication, tool boxes, grill guards, 5th wheels, goosenecks, bed covers, bed liners, nerf bars, and more!

Comment

Troubles with the shaft eh?

Comment

“The shaft isn’t long enough”

Comment

Make sure and dont put any lubricant on the shaft when tightening up the nut. You dont want to lose your load while towing. Good luck and be careful

Comment

The dreaded short shaft.

Comment

Get one of these. Bolts right on bumper at the holes it has in it and a standard hitch will fit it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                      Hey guys,

the shaft isn’t long enough. I tried searching online forums to see what size shaft for my bumper is and looked in the owners manual without luck. I don’t know what size shaft I need.

The size shaft needed varies depending on how thick your bumper is, not all bumpers are the same. Last time I had issues with a shaft being too short I traded it in for a different shaft, trust me it was worth the amount spent. Seeing as to I have a rather large bumper it took a couple tries to get the correct fit but once I found the correct fit it was well worth it.

Comment

this went south in a hurry...

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBee View Post
                          The size shaft needed varies depending on how thick your bumper is, not all bumpers are the same. Last time I had issues with a shaft being too short I traded it in for a different shaft, trust me it was worth the amount spent. Seeing as to I have a rather large bumper it took a couple tries to get the correct fit but once I found the correct fit it was well worth it.
                          Honey bee is correct. Also be aware there are different ball sizes. Be sure to get the right size balls for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                            Honey bee is correct. Also be aware there are different ball sizes. Be sure to get the right size balls for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I know I need a 2” ball.
                            I need to measure the current shaft I need to take back and probably got to TSC and getting something longer. The canal is too tight to measure the depth. So far SOL getting the nut and washer on any of the shaft threads.

Comment

I can’t believe they make a pickup with a hitch...

Comment

Working...
                              X