Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing a new fridge. Any out there reliable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing a new fridge. Any out there reliable?

I have a fridge over freezer (22 YO Amana) and the fins behind the back panel in the freezer have completely iced over twice now in the last month or so. Figure it is on it's last legs...

I don't have much faith in the newer appliances. That being said... what have ya'll found to be fairly reliable?

Figure whatever I buy now will go into my shop as I hope to build a retirement home in couple years.

thanx,

My 2 Whirlpool refrigerators have been solid and reliable. Most of the newer refrigerators have a single smaller energy efficient compressor that just doesn't have the long term durability that older refrigerators had. Some high end refrigerators come with 2 compressors, one for the fridge and one for the freezer side. They are not cheap though.

Comment

Ya might use a hair dryer, to thaw it out.
      But, it might be, the defrost heater.
      I know, cause I just replaced my fridge.

Comment

Don’t buy a Samsung … in less than 2 yrs, the service tech had to come out and defrost my rear freezer panel 4-5 times. Local appliance store took it back giving me a full credit of $1200 for a replacement fridge. I decided on a Fridgedaire and have experienced zero problems since

Comment

Yeah, I used the hair drier to defrost it both times.

I'll look at the defrost heater, thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            Yeah, I used the hair drier to defrost it both times.

I'll look at the defrost heater, thanx.
            There's a little Bi-metal thermostat, that regulates the de-frost
            timer. (thus engaging the heater)
            Either can go bad.
            If you can get a model number, you can order the entire wiring
            harness, with everything included. Google.
            Just change'em out.
            Turns out, both of mine were fine, but the mother board was
            fried. And, it cost way too much, to replace on a 25 yr old fridge.
            That's why, I just bought a new fridge. Maybe you'll get lucky.
            Good luck to ya.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with Amana. Side by side in the house is 3 years old and upright freezer in the garage is almost 20 years old.

Comment

I will second....NO SAMSUNG. I had to replace my fan in the fridge side shortly after purchasing it. It also leaks water out of the freezer side into my kitchen floor at random times. I assume something is frozen in the rear panel causing the defrost to drain into my floor. My ice maker is also broken, which I attribute to the heater not working to release the cubes from the grid. Its just a piece of junk!

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                  There's a little Bi-metal thermostat, that regulates the de-frost
                  timer. (thus engaging the heater)
                  Either can go bad.
                  If you can get a model number, you can order the entire wiring
                  harness, with everything included. Google.
                  Just change'em out.
                  Turns out, both of mine were fine, but the mother board was
                  fried. And, it cost way too much, to replace on a 25 yr old fridge.
                  That's why, I just bought a new fridge. Maybe you'll get lucky.
                  Good luck to ya.
                  AS I was looking through the Amana defrost parts, i came across the thermastat. I remembered that I replaced mine about 10 years ago. I am hoping that is it. Gonna pick up the part in the morning and hopefully it keeps running till we build a new place.l

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    Don’t buy a Samsung … in less than 2 yrs, the service tech had to come out and defrost my rear freezer panel 4-5 times. Local appliance store took it back giving me a full credit of $1200 for a replacement fridge. I decided on a Fridgedaire and have experienced zero problems since
                    X2

Comment

Whatever you can get the best deal on because right now appliances are in short supply. Also they are such a crap shoot these days, I have heard negative things about all of them. I have had a GE for 9 years and only had to replace the water filter housing which was supprisingly very easy and the parts were cheap.

Comment

We have had a Frigidaire for around 11 years. The ice maker has had a problem lately of dumping a little extra water out of the tray when filling it. But other than that it has been good.

Comment

We have a whirlpool. Lights in fridge part went out. Call a repairman cause you don't just replace the bulb anymore. Freezer froze up. Call the repairman. Everything is on circuit boards now days. No matter which one you buy get the longest extended warranty you can. Chances are you'll need it.

Comment

No no no to Samsung.

Whirlpool has served me well.

Comment

I'll never by another Samsung appliance. Whirlpool has been good to us.

Comment

Working...
                              X