No announcement yet.

Drainage issue input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The band aid fix is to mortar or anchor in hog wire or rebar in catch basin stone to prevent kid/pet drowning and clean up and re-sod grades at outfall for positive drainage.

Middle fix would be your fix. Tear out pipe and reset grade at catch basin and do rock rip rap at pipe outfall and clean up and resod grades. You might not have any cover on pipe tho.

Best fix would be to fill catch basin and extend stone or conc spillway at existing grade for a bit, mortar in rock or put down lots of rip rap stone at spillway lip (existing catch basin taking a lot of energy out of all that water rushing down) and clean up grades for positive drainage and resod.

Wouldn’t really be too worried if no flooding at your place. All this work can be done by the right landscaper who does drainage.

Comment

Upstream looks like a bubba'd way to do a drop inlet without putting in an inlet. The "outfall" looks like it at one time, maybe, could have been at grade with a swale to sheet flow to the river. No protection, so it eroded out and made a hole. Having dealt with them on drainage for many years, I'd guess whichever developer did this nickel and dimed it instead of putting a run of pipe all the way to the river. Either way, I'd get an engineer involved. If it is draining more than just your lot, this isn't something you can get joe's lawn service to fix.

Comment

CJ and FVR thanks for the input. HOA has a huge file on my property I saw when I got my small driveway extension. I will stop by and ask to see if the original plans are in there.
        No water problems, just safety concerns. I also theorized that the pipe outfall was originally at grade and eroded down. At some point stones were added on top but why?

Here is the outfall tonight. On a dry day you can see the entire pipe but it rained yesterday and obviously holds water. Perhaps there are stones underneath and on the sides as if it originally exited through a wall? I’ll dig some out when it dries up a bit.

Any change to the design is restricted by the rules and covenants. I have to be careful with my inquiry as I’ll be ****ed if I have to pay them another construction permit fee.[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
          CJ and FVR thanks for the input. HOA has a huge file on my property I saw when I got my small driveway extension. I will stop by and ask to see if the original plans are in there.
          No water problems, just safety concerns. I also theorized that the pipe outfall was originally at grade and eroded down. At some point stones were added on top but why?

Here is the outfall tonight. On a dry day you can see the entire pipe but it rained yesterday and obviously holds water. Perhaps there are stones underneath and on the sides as if it originally exited through a wall? I’ll dig some out when it dries up a bit.

Any change to the design is restricted by the rules and covenants. I have to be careful with my inquiry as I’ll be ****ed if I have to pay them another construction permit fee.[emoji35]

the stones on top are probably from a head wall. you could explore around the stones and see if you can find the outline of the old head wall. if you dig around that outfall pipe for positive drainage you should be good to go.

landscaper work or your own back work. just resod with new or existing sod if you can cut it. rebar anchored across drop inlet in large grid to prevent little kid from falling thru won't have any issues on the drainage

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
            the stones on top are probably from a head wall. you could explore around the stones and see if you can find the outline of the old head wall. if you dig around that outfall pipe for positive drainage you should be good to go.

landscaper work or your own back work. just resod with new or existing sod if you can cut it. rebar anchored across drop inlet in large grid to prevent little kid from falling thru won't have any issues on the drainage

The more I investigate the more I suspect I’ll be out there with a shovel - bad back and all. Neighbor is a local coach and looks like a bodybuilder. His 1 year old is my top safety concern and I’m certain I can recruit him for help. Got some strong teen boys I can hire hourly too.

Comment

So dang frustrating. That is not a head wall, at least not much of one. It goes less than a foot past what you see in either direction. This is not the pipe end. Somebody cut an opening here. Using rebar I can feel the pipe down to where it is in the pic and lose it after that.
              HOA has original plans for my house but not for infrastructure the developer installed prior to homes. At least they can’t ding me for changing the original design.
              Got tree service coming Tuesday and I’ll start looking for somebody to bid this work after that. No clue what needs to be done now but nothing DIY for sure.

Comment

Now after these pictures I would say have a swale cut from there to the river? You might lose the tree but not that time consuming for a good operator. How far from the last picture to the river? Also need to know grades to give you really good information.

Comment

Grades and distances.

Comment

I have done the same thing in reverse to fill a stock tank. You have to know the grades and what you're working with.

Comment

Well that opening on the pipe is probably 80 to 100 feet or so down to the main drop that would be the normal high water mark on the river bank. The hole is cut on a bit of a hump but overall it’s on a very gradual downslope varying from maybe 2 to 5 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                        So the neighborhood uses the sides of your house and backyard as major method to clear water from it?

.....By design? Wow

IMO, I dont think that pipe is large enough for that kind of expected coverage of a Texas downpour.

If it is being forced into that collection area for diverting, is it possible to just let it run over the grass?

J
                        would not want that house

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                          would not want that house

Good drainage input here! SMH.

The guy asked for help. Not you’re negative opinion on his new home. Come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                            Now after these pictures I would say have a swale cut from there to the river? You might lose the tree but not that time consuming for a good operator. How far from the last picture to the river? Also need to know grades to give you really good information.

Yep. Good advice here. If you have the grade you can do it from bush league cut in pipe. If not you’re going to have to chase grade up and cut and reinstall pipe and do outfall correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X