No announcement yet.

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walker Air just replaced my whole system with a Rheem. Sucker blows icicles and will last as long as EllisCountyHog lasts.

Comment

We went with American standard… Which is the keystone light of Trane!

Comment

I'm glad some folks have had a good Trane Unit.

I'm on my fifth coil in 9 years. They just keep springing leaks. If you install a Trane be sure and purchase the extended parts and labor warranty.

Last one installed in March was over $2600.

Comment

Just replaced ours a few weeks ago and went with Trane. Our old unit sounded like a SA 200 working at full tilt, this one runs like a sewing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
            My current AC is about 18 years old and I'm going to be replacing it soon before it croaks. What are the better brands to look at? Any to stay away from?
            We installed a Carrier last year and don’t have any complaints.

Comment

We’ve had good luck with Carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our AC guy said the "best brand" is constantly changing. It'll be one brand for a few years, then it'll go downhill and it'll be another brand, etc. He currently recommended Rheem. A lot has to do with the installation and efficiency. Like, we had a Trane unit that was just BARELY big enough for the house we bought. The house was 1750 sq. gt. and the unti was designed for houses up to about 1800 sq. ft. What happened? After a couple of years, it just burned itself out as it got older, struggling to do its job. We went from a 3 1/2 ton to a 4 ton unit, and we were in AC Heaven. Keep the coil clean, the filters changed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  I agree with Goodman.
                  All of their units are made here in Texas, too.

Comment

My current AC is about 18 years old and I'm going to be replacing it soon before it croaks. What are the better brands to look at? Any to stay away from?
                    How big is the house, one story, two story?

Comment

I like my rheem. Installation is the biggest factor.
                      Base decision on: installation, service, brand... in that order

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        How big is the house, one story, two story?

My house is a single story, just under 1,800 sq ft. 3 bed/2 bath.

Comment

My house is a single story, just under 1,800 sq ft. 3 bed/2 bath.
                          Ok, all good advice above.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                            Following.
                            I am running a 1988 Lennox system AC/heat and the service man cannot believe how this has lasted. I, personally did change the blower motor. But in my 22 years in this house the unit has not even taken a blast of Freon in the 6 or so times it has been serviced. Blows ice cold. New motor makes it quieter with greater CFM's. I am sure newer equipment is much more efficient.
                            Good info in this thread.
                            My 1977 Lennox unit still runs strong, but I have a freon leak somewhere. Gonna try to limp along on window units this summer. I'll be in your shoes next spring.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Walker Air just replaced my whole system with a Rheem. Sucker blows icicles and will last as long as EllisCountyHog lasts.
                              We have a Rheem system. 1999 model. replaced one capacitor a couple years ago and that was it. I figure I will have to replace my system in the next few years. It has been a good unit.

Comment

Trane or Daikin. Trane needs to fix their valve issues on the high end product.

Comment

Working...
                                X